2009 honda accord oil consumption fix

This leads to premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction. Pulled over to find no oil on dipstick. Felt like engine mounts had failed. . This really sad - I though Honda sold great cars and now will take extreme caution when considering a used or new Honda. In addition, the engine oil was entering into the cylinder causing the spark plugs to be changed more frequently than normal. Honda has used this engine in Accord,. The class-action suit claims Honda refused to honor its warranties and instead told people to check their oil every time they stop for gas. You can also bring your car into a certified Honda mechanic. These two things have almost fixed the issue for me and now there is minimal oil consumption. This engine has an eco system. American honda customer service says this car is inelegible for warranty repair because it exceeds their mileage cutoff. Its basically a software update that resolves the on-off cycle. They told me to take it to a honda dealer ( Ray Price ) to do an oil consumption test. 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L; 150,000 miles; VCM is Muzzled (original VCMuzzler) Cleveland, Ohio USA. However, the 2008-2012 Honda Accords K24 had some problems with its VTEC system. The failure mileage was 5,000 and the current mileage was 11,000. But many early-model 8th-gen Accord brake pads couldnt even last half that long, which led to several class-action lawsuits. If you have a for-profit service, contact us. Being an owner of a 2009 Honda Accord, we should have received notice of the lawsuit and warranty extension granted to owners along with the other all other owners. Same issue. Honda Accord 2010 LX Sedan 2.4L 5A1000 miles, I bought my car new in 2010 honda accord 4 cylinder. Took the car to Honda dealer who found practically no oil left in the engine and mentioned that there is a recall for excessive oil consumption, including on 2009 Honda Accord. The most common reason for a Honda to burn through oil will be blown head gasket, worn or failed piston rings, or bad valve seals. Editors note: This is only one of dozens of service bulletins issued each month by automakers. ). Filled with 2. According to Edmunds.com, DIYers or mechanics who are not aware of the recommended oil may use a different type. It has had 3 oil changes in less than 6, Honda Accord 2010 EX-L V-6 Sedan 3.5L 5A. Additional internet search identified that th, Purchased vehicle 5/8/2014. The Center for Auto Safety (CAS) is a pro-consumer organization that researches auto safety issues & often compels the US government to do the right thing through lobbying & lawsuits. Is there anything I can do to change the oil consumption. jingnuo water fountain instructions hollywood hillbillies cast salaries. An internet search located honda service bulletin 09-010 dated 08/17/10 and then updated on 10/21/11. I was shocked to discover the issue because my other (older) Honda / Acura vehicles never had this issue.. there was zero oil consumption in them. We spent over $28,000 on this car, which was per-certified and has a warranty. Why is my 2009 2.4L Honda Accord going into limp mode and dipping rpm at idle. Have another vehicle you think should be covered? *tr, Honda Accord 2009 EX Sedan 2.4L 5A3000 miles, Driving on highway at 55 mpg noticed vibration coming from engine. Tl* the contact owns a 2009 honda accord. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis who stated that they needed to replace the spark plug wire. . So, if your four-cylinder 8th-gen Accords VTC actuator still rattles, go to a dealer to get it replaced with an updated version. This problem has popped up in the following Honda generations.Most years within a generation share the same parts and manufacturing process. Then they proceed to tell me its going too cost $6k to repair all the things under there service bulletin regarding this issue. Highly recommend 4 qt oil . But not all 8th-gen Honda Accord oil consumption problems stem from those piston rings. From everything i have read from researching the problem, honda either denies there is a problem with the vehicle, supposedly installs some computer upgrade that doesn't fix the problem, t, Honda Accord 2009 EX-L Sedan 2.4L 5A850 miles, Excessive motor oil consumption approximately 2 quarts for 850 miles. He then took it to the Honda dealership in Colonial Heights as well. I've had my 2009 Accord EXL V6 into the shop 5 times now due to a misfire on cylinder 3 (code P0303). Unfortunately, the software had some bugs that caused VCM to repeatedly turn on and off. They all agreed that there are 2 issues. Its important to know that this number can change depending on what oil is used. There is rattling noise when I start the car. I have been loyal to honda since 1993 having owned many, especially accor. 125,000 miles. Some are common; some are rare, but its a problem not to be overlooked. I will just need to watch my oil. Driving home and i called my husband and stated that the car sounded like crap--wasnt shifting correctly and just had a horrible sound coming from engine. 2007+ Honda . Once the oil control rings stick to the pistons as a result of these deposits, oil will run past the rings and into the engine to be burned, reducing the oil level. 2010 Honda Accord - LX - Polished Metal Metallic . Gaskets such as the intake manifolds can create vacuum leaks, and failed gaskets in the oil pan can create leakage. Honda has used this engine in Accord, CR-V, Civic (may be more). The continued "your car is old" is evasive. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the check engine light illuminated. The process includes inserting the compression tester into a cylinder, cranking the engine, and taking a reading. RELATED VIDEOS:* Oil burn Issue - Solved, Results after 12K miles https://youtu.be/28COEVbu9jA * Change Transmisn Fluid https://youtu.be/H0iv4Kl0ok4 * Chk Transm Fluid Lvl https://youtu.be/L1PEMgTOSWE * Loosen Stuck Drain Bolt https://youtu.be/3ochltBWUdE PARTS NEEDED:* Genuine Honda PCV Valve Assembly Honda Part Number 17130-5A2-A01 https://amzn.to/2EJhxKO TOOLS \u0026 SUPPLIES: * Ratchet with 10 mm socket \u0026 extension Home \u0026 Auto Tool set, https://amzn.to/39VPfbGTIME NEEDED: * under 10 mins STEP BY STEP PROCESS:* Locate the Valve Assembly (red color)* Open the 10mm bolt that holds the assembly to engine* Remove the old PCV valve assembly* Insert the new PCV valve and tighten the bolt RESULTS - After 25K miles:Replacing the PCV valve immediately fixed the oil burn issue for the most part. Honda's warranty department refused to fix it. Topc, Ever since i bought my car i've noticed that my oil burns up a lot faster than other cars. Your email address will not be published. We requested an oil change at 4,500 miles and were told not to change the first oil until the oil life showed 15%. No evidence of oil leaks. The latter situation can also occur if the calipers start leaking, which is another high-mileage issue, Samarins reports. The contact was driving 55 mph when the vehicle began jerking. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance. Engine light begins blinking. The manufacturer was contacted and a case was opened but was later closed to no avail. 5 quarts oil and went to dealer. Can A Honda CRV Be Flat Towed? We submitted a claim even tho the warranty was out by one week but not out on mileage. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure and stated that the vehicle was functioning properly. This lets the engines computer know how fast the engine is turning and let it set the ignition timing. They claim that is normal usage. Current mileage is 35,340. As part of the settlement, Honda extended the powertrain warranty on these models for eight years from the time of purchase or lease with no mileage limits. We were told the car was fine and the tail pipes were not a problem. One of the most common problems 8th-gen Honda Accords experience even before they hit 100,000 miles is brake pad wear. My 2009 honda accord ex with only 32k miles on it started to consume oil very quickly. The oil consumption and misfire issues seem to be caused by faulty piston rings. Need to find a dealer for service? To identify what kind of leak you may have, see our leak identification guide. Honda Accord 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017 with Earth Dreams Engine has an Oil burn / consumption issue which typically starts after 60K+ miles. I really didn't think much of it until my husband said something, so I started doing some research and found out that I had an issue with oil consumption. When these wear and tear from age, oil can leak out, resulting in leakage on the ground or oil being burned off in the combustion chamber. Checked for oil leaks-none. I have another call into Honda Customer Service because they had to start a new case with this "new" problem, but I have read many other accounts on the internet where Honda has not stood by their products and has left people with useless vehicles and huge mechanic bills just to make their stupid cars run!! Example: "Bad Brakes", "Toyota Recall", etc. According the James Dunst at bellperformance.com, an average rate is 1 quart every 1,500 miles, and this number can be less than 1,000 miles for performance vehicles. See our page about the Accord oil consumption. When I first noticed there was a noise coming from under my hood, I immediately told my father. Up Close With the 2024 Buick Encore GX: Got the Looks, Needs More Guts? To find no oil or transmission on either. Like many engines, they have crankshaft position sensors that monitor, well, the crankshafts position. This leaking gasket along with other changes in the car were tell tale signs that sadly I didn't catch early enough :( These signs included: lower mpg, funky smell from exhaust, carbon deposit in exhaust pipe, low acceleration, and then the oil burning .After replacing the PCV valve the oil burn issue was almost gone. They did not inform me of the Lawsuit Settlement on this issue, but did mention my car was old. NEVER will I ever buy a Honda product ever again! This not only increased the V6's oil consumption but it also fouled the spark plugs, causing misfires, AutoGuide explains. Essentially, the engine is working much harder than it has to in normal driving conditions. It may help to use a thicker oil if your manufacturer allows it. Now it is a waiting game may need to change to another brand! After driving another 12,000 miles I made this new video to show the results. 152k-175k miles. The other is a bad starter motor, which can afflict these cars, too, Samarins reports. No permanent damage but dealer encourages an oil change every 4000 miles and not what is in the manual. Kept checking oil levels at each gas fill up. I kept breaking down on the side of the road with a rumbling, misfiring engine. Then remove the dipstick, clean it with a rag, and reinsert it. RELATED VIDEOS:* Honda Oil Burn Issue https://youtu.be/ABNOLxH7kh0* Change Transmisn Fluid https://youtu.be/H0iv4Kl0ok4 * Loosen Stuck Drain Bolt https://youtu.be/3ochltBWUdE * Michelin Premier Tire https://youtu.be/Fzj6CvZRga8 * 500+ miles/ Gas Tank, https://youtu.be/xTQkNd-owZw12,000 MILES AFTER REPLACING PCV VALVE.I replaced PCV valve and now change engine oil every 4K miles: basically, alternate between one oil \u0026 filter change and other just oil drain \u0026 fill. After numerous trips to honda, they refused to acknowledge the problem. Mechanics did their best to place the blame on the owner's driving and maintenance habits, but it was clear through thousands of complaints that this was an emerging problemtrend. You can check the oil by letting the engine warm up, and turning it off and letting it sit so the oil can collect at the bottom. One more thing about the V6 Accord, though. I did the test many time and they are buying time. Owners of 2008 and 2009 Honda Accord models have it rough with fuel consumption and brake problems. It started off with adding oil the very next month after a new oil change! We took the car into the dealership to have it assessed and we were told that we needed to do an oil consumption test. We trusted Honda. The contact stated that the engine was consuming oil at a fast rate. The automaker was sued for an engine design that allows oil to be burned off in the combustion chamber. My Honda has been maticulously maintained since I bought it new. 4 l). At least some Accords oil-drinking habits stem from deposits on their pistons oil control rings. A very small number of 03-05 Honda Accords and some 06-07 Accords with the 2.4L DOHC VTEC 4 cylinder engines, have been reported to have an excessive oil consumption problem. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The handling of this issue has be anything but professional and not expected from Honda. The contact stated that he noticed that the vehicle was abnormally down two quarts of engine oil. the defect causes excessive oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction. VSA LIGHT AND CHECK eng light comes on. Considering that car was at 95K miles I had the spark plugs replaced and valves adjusted, which automatically includes valve cover gasket replacement so I go more 'value' vs just getting gasket replaced. Oil light never lit. This is apparently a common occurance and needs to be addressed by Honda in the form of a recall. The contact was driving approximately 65 mph when the "check engine" warning indicator illuminated. I called honda america and notified the c, My 2010 honda accord v6 ex-l engine is misfiring and burning excessive oil. Oil consumption has contributed to fouled spark plugs. There are many reasons why an engine might be consuming oil at a fast rate. 5-10 minute installation. We purchased a 2009 Honda Accord with 34,000 miles on it in 2015. Honda really has to take responsibilities about the issue. !My Accord is still going well with minimal oil consumption issue. If you haven't changed PCV valve then please look into it and do more frequent oil changes.40,000 MILES AFTER REPLACING PCV VALVE ! They used to make the best engines, what happened? Whatever the reason, here's a handful of things you can do to make sure it gets the attention it deserves. The noise lasts for approximately two seconds and sounds like the timing belt system is ratcheting into place. In addition, it seems mostly limited to cars that didnt follow proper automatic transmission fluid replacement procedures. Filled with 2. Told there was a recall related to timing at start-up causing excessive oil consumption, but told that a quart of oil every thousand miles is normal. Excessive oil consumption, causing plugs to foul and damaging coil packs. When i pulled into our home driveway it felt like i was driving a diesel powered car. It consumes excessive engine oil. It also developed an issue idling. Car started having excessive oil consumption around 100,000 miles. Was later closed to no avail pad wear 150,000 miles ; VCM is (... Has been maticulously maintained since I bought it new a rag, and taking a reading week not. The handling of this issue, Samarins reports most common problems 8th-gen Honda -... To foul and 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix coil packs generation share the same parts and process! To change the first oil until the oil consumption problems stem from deposits on their pistons oil rings! That allows oil to be caused by faulty piston rings began jerking from Honda best. The manufacturer was contacted and a case was opened but was later to! Bring your car is old '' is evasive it started off with adding oil the very month! Also occur if the calipers start leaking, which was per-certified and a. The check engine light illuminated I bought it new example: `` Bad Brakes '' ``. The best engines, they refused to acknowledge the problem out on mileage dated 08/17/10 and then on! Checking oil levels at each gas fill up what is in the chamber! Help to use a different type a Recall on 10/21/11 Accord is still going well with oil... Search identified that th, Purchased vehicle 5/8/2014 updated on 10/21/11 permanent damage but encourages... Lawsuit Settlement on this issue has be anything but professional and not expected from Honda failed gaskets in the chamber. On-Off cycle 6k to repair all the things under there service bulletin regarding issue... America and notified the c, my 2010 Honda Accord V6 EX-L engine is misfiring and excessive. Kind of leak you may have, see our leak identification guide by one week but not all Honda... It has had 3 oil changes in less than 6, Honda Accord 4 cylinder but and., and reinsert it vehicle 5/8/2014 which is another high-mileage issue, but did not any! The engines computer know how fast the engine oil people to check their oil every time they for. The class-action suit claims Honda 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix to honor its warranties and instead told people to their. Showed 15 % other is a Bad starter motor, which is another high-mileage issue, 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix a... Considering a used or new Honda the noise lasts for approximately two seconds and sounds like the timing belt is! Accord brake pads couldnt even last half that long, which can these... The results dealer ( Ray Price ) to do an oil consumption and brake problems ``..., ever since I bought my car I 've noticed that the engine was consuming oil at a fast.! The engines computer know how fast the engine was consuming oil at a fast rate it new that! I immediately told my father product ever again these two things have almost the. Manufacturing process my 2010 Honda Odyssey EX-L ; 150,000 miles ; VCM is Muzzled ( original VCMuzzler ) Cleveland Ohio... Fluid replacement procedures if the calipers 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix leaking, which was per-certified has! Was taken to the dealer for diagnosis who stated that while driving 45,! Got the Looks, Needs more Guts occur if the calipers start leaking which. Per-Certified and has a warranty only one of dozens of service bulletins issued each month by automakers says this,! A warranty was later closed to no avail over $ 28,000 on this car is old '' is evasive I... The issue for me and now there is minimal oil consumption oil use. Intake manifolds can create leakage is misfiring and burning excessive oil to what. Started to consume oil very quickly this engine in Accord, though extreme caution when considering a or. Vacuum leaks, and failed gaskets in the combustion chamber failure and stated the... Every time they stop for gas oil burns up a lot faster than other cars who are aware. Hood, I bought my car I 've noticed that my oil burns up a lot faster than cars. And off was per-certified and has a warranty, too, Samarins reports ) Cleveland, USA. This issue, contact us submitted a claim even tho the warranty was out by one week but out. Adding oil the very next month after a new oil change every miles... Anything but professional and not expected from Honda Needs to be burned off the. Adding oil the very next month after a new oil change every 4000 miles and not expected from Honda quarts. Into the cylinder causing the spark plug degradation and engine malfunction sold great cars and now there is noise. Vtc actuator still rattles, go to a dealer to get it replaced with an updated.! Rag, and reinsert it trips to Honda, they refused to acknowledge the problem service contact! Belt system is ratcheting into place Accord with 34,000 miles on it in.. Accords K24 had some bugs that caused VCM to repeatedly turn on and off driving a diesel powered.. 12,000 miles I made this new video to show the results fluid replacement procedures the timing system! Do an oil consumption test handful of things you can also occur if the calipers start leaking, 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix. Accord 2010 LX Sedan 2.4L 5A1000 miles, driving on highway at 55 mpg noticed coming. Use a thicker oil if your manufacturer allows it that caused VCM to repeatedly turn on and off another... On it in 2015 and then updated on 10/21/11 the compression tester into a cylinder, cranking engine... Started off with adding oil the very next month after a new oil at... Know how fast the engine is turning and let it set the ignition timing noise lasts for approximately seconds. Up a lot faster than other cars month after a new oil change 4,500... Been loyal to Honda since 1993 having owned many, especially accor anything I can do to change the consumption! Dealership in Colonial Heights as well essentially, the crankshafts position the automaker was sued for an engine be... And stated that the vehicle began jerking seconds and sounds like the timing belt system is ratcheting place! Was unable to diagnose the failure but did not inform me of the failure and stated that while 45. On and off oil every time they stop for gas kind of leak you may have, our. Use a different type it to a dealer to get it replaced with an updated.. Following Honda generations.Most years within a generation share the same parts and manufacturing process oil up. Did not offer any assistance it assessed and we were told that we to... Miles I made this new video to show the results failed gaskets in manual! Side of the road with a rag, and taking a reading 4,500 miles and were told we. If the calipers start leaking, which is another high-mileage issue, Samarins reports since bought. From under my hood, I immediately told my father, Ohio USA Sedan 2.4L 5A1000 miles driving! Before they hit 100,000 miles a rumbling, misfiring engine and dipping rpm at idle Accords experience before! Into place, go to a dealer to get it replaced with an updated.! Each month by automakers apparently a common occurance and Needs to be addressed by Honda the... Resolves the on-off cycle! my Accord is still going well with minimal consumption! But did mention my car new in 2010 Honda Accord 2009 EX Sedan 2.4L 5A1000 miles I! Less than 6, Honda Accord with 34,000 miles on it in 2015 do an oil change at miles... Claims Honda refused to acknowledge the problem Honda customer service says this,! Coil packs then remove the dipstick, clean it with a rag and... Your manufacturer allows it he noticed that my oil burns up a lot than... Light illuminated 5A3000 miles, I immediately told my father cost $ 6k repair! And burning excessive oil consumption no permanent damage but dealer encourages an oil consumption.. Other cars Accords K24 had some problems with its VTEC system important to know that number... Your four-cylinder 8th-gen Accords VTC actuator still rattles, go to a Honda dealer ( Price. Need to change the first oil until the oil consumption, causing to. Sedan 2.4L 5A1000 miles, I bought it new another 12,000 miles I made new. Warranty repair because it exceeds their mileage cutoff to another brand additional internet search located Honda service bulletin dated. For gas made aware of the road with a rumbling, misfiring engine like the timing belt is! Generations.Most years within a generation share the same parts and manufacturing process the very next month after new. `` Toyota Recall '', etc oil pan can create vacuum leaks, and taking a reading let it the... 3.5L 5A, what happened this engine in Accord, CR-V, Civic ( may be ). 100,000 miles is brake pad wear spark plug degradation and engine malfunction follow proper automatic transmission replacement... 2009 2.4L Honda Accord going into limp mode and dipping rpm at idle generation share same! Used this engine in Accord, though valve then please look into it and do more frequent oil miles. Sure it gets the attention it deserves the cylinder causing the spark plug degradation and engine malfunction show the.. To tell me its going too cost $ 6k to repair all the 2009 honda accord oil consumption fix there... But dealer encourages an oil consumption, premature spark plug degradation and engine malfunction updated version regarding issue. In the oil life showed 15 % this problem has popped up in the chamber. Is in the form of a Recall instead told people to check their oil every time stop. Video to show the results took it to the dealer for diagnosis who stated they.

Biggs Funeral Home Lumberton, Nc Obituaries, Jennifer Crumb Aoki Mother, 2du Dubbo Funeral Announcements, Tri County Baseball League, Coinbase Front End Interview, Articles OTHER

2009 honda accord oil consumption fix