280 inch bull elk

Thats right, you should have already shot! For a mature typical bull elk that scores around 350 B&C, his main beam length is usually around 50 per side x two sides = 100; his mass usually equals 30 per side x two sides = 60; and his inside spread is usually around 40, which equates to 100+60+40=200. Assuming we have have a bull elk down that weighs 500 pounds field dressed and we set to work and de-bone all the meat, yielding 250 lbs of meat an allowing about 40 lbs for his head. Mag. A 140- to 150-grain .264 driven to the same speeds as a .270 Win. With the draw results out in the western states there are many hunters celebrating their good fortune in the draw. So we have the 250-255 range covered, lets see one in the 255-260 . Mag. font-size: 14px; whats the biggest bull everyone has shot? Your taste in rifle weight, mass, and recoil will color your choices. Here is my wifes bull, probably 290 (never really scored it) without broken tine. So why is it included? In other words, if we took our 380 bull from above and made him 77 with 8 inch G6s he would quickly jump to 396 or better! Click to reveal Next come three spread measurements: tip-to-tip, greatest spread, and the inside spread of the main beams. It will for sure kill an elk, however, some believe that because of the larger diameter and heavier bullet, its a better elk cartridge than a .308 Winchester or .30/06. I have several non-typicals available each year over 600". You do not measure the bases as the first measurement which I have seen some hunters mistakenly do. Thats ok. Live and learn is a common aphorism for a reason. I believe I had 59 or 60 grains of Alliant Reloader 22 pushing that Barnes 3,100 fps, give or take 50 fps. trajectory may explain how the 7mm Rem. Enter the number of points. worldwide popularity. Hit an elk with a 175-gr. After accumulating 13 Colorado pref points, it will surely be a dream come true. Some shoot faster and hit harder than the .338 Win. In late summer the velvet dries and falls off to reveal the bonelike structure of the fully-grown antlers. You can up your odds by having a great elk tag, choosing a great area, booking a high fence hunt. No rough-and-tough manly man in the 1960s was going to admit he couldnt handle that. This was and is one key to the .300 Win. Keep in mind that very few bulls are wider than 45 inside. Here's how to set realistic expectations, get it done, and have a blast. Obviously, there is plenty of leeway in all of this, and personal biases can play a big role. That is knowing if the bull sports a 320, 340, 350, 360 or a super 370-plus B&C gross rack can be a practical and quick judging system in the field. When air judging, it is most important to try to look for weaknesses and strengths of the antler configuration. For example: Fire a Nosler 168-gr. The .280 Ackley Improved is hot these days, flying about 100 fps behind the 7mm Rem. Best Ammo (Round, Load, Cartridge) for a Successful Elk Hunt. The minimum score for a typical elk to qualify for the club is 260 inches. Sounds like a deal, lets compromise. This one you can hopefully see the length of the 4. antlers Lots of folks like .30-caliber magnums for elk hunting, and they work exceptionally well. Mag. Paired with a sleek, wind-bucking bullet its still an outstanding choice for big bulls at distant ranges. This bull grossed 305 and netted 298. No idea why the pic is upside down.just flip your phone. But elk stopping performance typically comes with a price: recoil. font-family: Arial, sans-serif; Recoil is about 30-percent less than the .338 Win. cannot measure up to the .338 Win. The 7mm Remington Magnum and .300 Winchester Magnum rifles have 26-inch barrels. Mag.and does it in a short-action platform. His favorite Mossy Oak camo pattern is Treestand. If you add these totals up for main beams, spread, and mass from both sides you get 200 inches. With the deer thread you don't see differences in an inch, and we got the job doneAlmost. "Pure" lead cores need thick copper jackets to prevent disintegration on impact. The tougher the terrain, the lighter. Join F&S+ to read exclusive stories by your favorite writers. That measurement is generally about 30. There are big bull elk. Our Genetics are improving each year and our antler average is getting bigger each year. The .280 Ackley gives you the wide availability of 7 mm component bullets, impressive velocities, great brass life and excellent commercially-available brass from Nosler. elkkill2006 # 3957463 04/01/10. Be careful with these estimates because whenever you double a measurement, it can make your score go up or down drastically. A 22LR cartridge can fell a bull elephant under the right conditions, and a newborn squirrel can survive a 50 BMG round under other specific conditions. winchester 9422 22lr., legacy, high grade, gold horse rider, final tribute, new unfired in the box with owners manual, hang tag, etc. Lastly, when you have to drive your bullet into the shoulder of a massive, quartering-to bulland it will happen someday if you hunt elk passionatelyyoull thank me for this advice: Pick a heavy-for-caliber, controlled expansion bullet for elk. For big game hunting precise shot placement is critical no matter the cartridge, and its damn hard to place a shot precisely when you know youre going to get smacked hard enough to loosen your teeth and knock out your boogers. I left it out because with its gargantuan powder capacity its almost too much of a good thing. 169.204.214.73 For more on Arizona Guided Elk Hunts visit:http://exclusivepursuitoutfitters.com/arizona-elk-hunting/ He only uses partitions for big game. In purely practical terms, no elk cartridge equals the beautifully balanced .300 Win. Location. Plus, widely available standard .280 ammunition can safely be fired in the improved chamber, so you wont be left out of the hunt should the airline loose the luggage with your ammo in it. From 1997-2002, more than 1,500 elk were shared with Kentucky by western states. We have an embarrassment of choices in 7mms, and elk dont like any. In eight-pound rifles, the 7mm Rem. For somebody from TN who doesbt get to see elk except on tv and in mags it sure would make it hard to judge one in the field. There are plenty of other .30-calibers for hire. Probably the best course of action on big non typicals is to just shoot and score him on the ground! Is the .280 Remington a viable caliber/load/round/cartridge for elk hunting? Most 225-grain factory loads are rated 2,750 to 2,800 fps, enough velocity to put about 3,900 ft-lb of energy into that little bullet. 3,637. Not that its a better choice; its just extremely common, and yes, its pretty darned good at making meat. 280 140 244 122 2 337 168 . The .378 will kill an elk but not any deader than 6.5 Creedmoor. The 190-gr. Thanks guys those are some awesome bulls. First, I use anatomical references to estimate several of the point lengths. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. padding: 10px 5px; If you can hack the recoil, it offers truly impressive energy. Again, the goal of this article is simply to address the question of whether .280 Remington is within the ideal range of suitable calibers to harvest elk - and to this question, the response again is yes, the .280 Remington is A GOOD CHOICE for elk hunting. Mag. Maybe in some altered reality this might be true, but the .358 cannot compete with a 165-grain .308 or .30/06 load at any distance beyond 100 yards. What is the average muzzle energy for a .280 Remington? Silvertine kills more 400" bulls than any other hunt ranch . You must log in or register to reply here. Now add 152 to our base of 200 and you have a 352 bull. We trot down the ridge, searching for a spot to glass the bull's position. Bulls Scoring 380-400. Before we begin, you should understand that this is a round up of the best calibers and cartridges for elk, not necessarily the most popular ones. font-weight: bold; There's not enough practical difference between the 270 and 280 for it to really matter in the field. If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles. This will give you a very good idea of the bulls inside spread. It may not display this or other websites correctly. We spot the elk then, on the far side of the canyon and feeding upward. The .338/06 adds about 200 fps muzzle velocity for about two inches less drop at 300 yards and roughly 300 ft-lb more punch. First impressions of a bull while air judging is extremely important. Selecting your perfect elk caliber hinges on you as well as the elk and the landscapes and habitat in which youll hunt them. The outcome is most times a disappointed hunter because the bull they take doesnt stretch the tape to some predetermined number. And while most heavy .300 Win. vertical-align: top If you can add one ear length to each side, that should put you at a 37 inside spread (22 + 7.5 + 7.5 = 37). scoring When a bull is broadside, you can compare his fourth point to that measurement. Entact would have been close to 310. The distance from that hump down his front leg to his hoof is generally 54 to 58, depending on the maturity of the bull. In comparison a 250-grain slug at 2,600 fps will churn up just 3,750 ft-lb. Kel-Tec: KS7GRN; 12 Gauge; Barrel Length 18.5 Inches; 3 Inch Chamber (Accepts 2-3/4" Shells) 6 Round Magazine Capacity; Bull Pup Styled Action; Pump Action Shotgun; Synthetic . I think sometimes I forget how nice a 300" elk really is when you read and get caught up in the numbers of 350+ trophy elk. Winchesters original loadings included a 200-grain bullet rated 3,000 fps, a 250-grain at 2,700 fps, and a heavy 300-grain at 2,450 fps from 24-inch barrels. I've never scored an elk and likely never will. Next, I estimate the length of the shortest point for each antler, double it and then add them up. Plus, ammo is available in just about every sporting goods shop across the West. A cartridge that starts a slippery bullet with plenty of speed provides flat trajectories and maximum wind-bucking ability. I'd have to look up how that would differ from B&C scoring. I start by estimating the brow tines (the first two points) by seeing how close they are in comparison to the length from the burr to the tip of the bulls nose. If youre one of those all-American .30-caliber guys, get a 30 Nosler precision rifle with a good brake, pair it with a tough, accurate bullet and never look back. Still not a bad bull, but not 350! I had a good friend bring a nice 6x6 home from Colorado last year that I'd have bet would be in the 330 range. as with all other cartridges, and in every case its been outstanding. .tg .tg-xhut { I gain the most consistency and accuracy with my field judging by actually scoring lots of antlers and, with each one, I gain more confidence. Ya know, after looking at these pics, I think these bulls are bigger than I expected! Our website lists special deals on 9mm Ammo, 10mm Ammo, 45-70 Ammo, 6.5 Creedmoor ammo, 300 Blackout Ammo, 10mm Ammo, 5.56 Ammo, Underwood Ammo, Buffalo Bore Ammo and more special deals on bulk ammo. If you want fast .30-caliber authority coupled with compact-rifle ergonomics, this is your poison. profile of a giant - big bull elk stock pictures, royalty-free photos & images. Still, any .37-caliber pushing 250- to 300-grain bullets faster than about 2,500 fps is going to lead to copious amounts of skinning and packing. A high B.C. Can't find the picture now of one that was 275". I will be very happy to harvest one of those and I know my dad will be thrilled. .308-inch diameter bullet carrying 1,500 ft-lb energy and I doubt they'll notice any difference. Mag. A bull elk is a male, which is much larger and heavier than a female, called a cow. But I also have a 6-foot 2-inch 20-something friend who climbs with a little 6.5 Creedmoor and lays out 66 bulls with single shots at 400 yards. You want to look for anything that is sticking out or extraordinary. I'd put the closest one on my wall any day, score be damned. Advertisement. Ya know, those are some fantastic bulls. If the rack does not look heavy and has a thin appearance, I attribute 27 of mass per side or 54 total. vertical-align: top One of the most effective elk calibers available. For those of you with coveted, limited entry tags the first advice I would give is to thoroughly enjoy your hunt and the overall experience. I feel that if you can estimate a bull on the hoof within 10 inches, you are a good field judge. My dad's 2009 bull went 273 gross. Keep in mind the beam tip is counted as a point, but not measured as a point. This is my son's bull from a couple years ago. Before the 6.5 Creedmoor was born, this was my favorite cartridge for any recoil-sensitive shooters. .tg .tg-4q2i { Just $1 per month , Find a tough cartridge for one of the most prizedand toughestbig game animals around, We may earn revenue from the products available on this page and participate in affiliate programs. But look at the length of the 4's. font-size: 18px; With the right bullet, the .338 RCM is good all the way from 500 yards down to thick-timber distances. Pick a Marlin M1895 or a Winchester Model 1886 and hunt happy in the knowledge that youve got bull-thumping wallop in every thumb-sized cartridge. border-style: solid; has been called the ultimate elk cartridge. Shooting an elk with one, however, is about like shooting a gopher with a .30/06. Distance, of course, plays an important role in the viability of a given caliber in elk hunting. Note that a 320 bull will likely have 46 to 48 inch beams, about 56 inches of total mass, and a 38 inch spread. For excessively rugged, steep-canyon elk country such as Idahos River Of No Return wilderness, such a rifle could mean the difference between steaks and tag soup. Mag., .270 WSM, and 27 Nosler step it up a few notches, and the 6.8 Western with its fast twist barrels nudges bullet weights to the upper end of the 7mm line up. So many variables with scoring elk. Fine options include the old .264 Win. Mag., 6.5 Weatherby RPM, 6.5-300 Wby. Might not make any record books but will be a good looking trophy to mount. On a mature bull, that measurement is usually 15 to 16. Once I determine the length of the first two points, next I extrapolate those into the rest of the points. Mag., and .300 RUM are all 30 calibers, but significantly different 30-caliber cartridges. border-color: black; Grossed at 323 and netted 318. It offers shocking good performance in a beltless, standard-length case and is becoming the go-to, extreme-range hunting cartridge. This method is not quite as exact as estimating each measurement, but it gets you very close and it can be much quicker and easier. Ammo is easier to find in a greater variety of bullet weights and styles, too. The immediate success of the 7mm Rem. This article does not serve as the final say, but simply as a starting point for beginner hunters, as well as a venue for further discussion. The way to score an elk is as follows: B&C score Plus I am working up elk loads with both. Mag. . Lighter recoil matched to .300 Win. A final consideration these days is availability of guns and ammo. Now add the total length of points to the magic number of 200 to get the gross score. Most hunters . 2012, 2013 & now join us on. Recoil in a standard-weight rifle without a muzzle brake is tooth-rattling, but down-range performance is oh-so-impressive. Many elk hunters consider the old .375 H&H the ultimate elk medicine, but not everyone cares to handle their recoil or the kind of rifle mass that tames it. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Many times, the third points are the source of a bulls weakness. 5 Rifle Cartridges That Need to Make a Comeback. Pictures of dead elk don't do much good. Subscribe to OL+ for our best feature stories and photography. (Even pure bullet lead has traces of copper, zinc, nickel, arsenic, aluminum. Hornady 180-grain GMX and 200-grain ELD-X. launched 2,600 fps will still be churning some 1,800 ft-lb energy. When a big bull is bugling and rutting, "elk fever" always seems to add a few inches to an estimated score. With the right bullets, it can actually hit harder than the 375 H&H Magnum at longer ranges. Learn the frontal if you want to kill elk, Today I learned I don't know what a 300" bull is, Going from 0 for 3 to 1 for 4 - first bull. in a 22-inch barrel. Its superb on elk to 350 yards or a bit more in the hands of a very good rifleman. Please include what you were doing when this page came up and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the bottom of this page. Just as importantly, it delivers plenty of punch on far-distant impacts. If you need to balance reach and punch with minimal weight, Id look to the 7mm magnums pushing 150- to 175-grain bullets. } With the right bullet, a .270 will put down any bull walking the earth today. Short action chamberings are likely to be in shorter, lighter rifles, so instead of a .338 Win. At 2,500 fps and a B.C. Just be aware that shot angles and placement do become critical as bullet mass and energy decline. When a big bull is bugling and rutting, elk fever always seems to add a few inches to an estimated score. Articles may contain affiliate links which enable us to share in the revenue of any purchases made. In 2022, he was named as the brands Shooting Editor. Some bulls may vary from this, but these are very realistic of what you will see on mature 66 bulls. Here's a decent comparison. It will break heavy bone, penetrate deep and straight, and kill quickly and cleanly. No idea why the pic is upside down.just flip your phone. text-align: center; What about the other assumptions? To help you judge main beams, point length, and spread, here are some average anatomic reference measurements for mature bulls. Theyre all proven to kill elk with proper shot placement and are available in rifles you wont mind carrying in the mountains. The .270 Winchester, .270 WSM, .280 Ackley Improved, .30-06, and .300 WSM Mountain Ascents have 24-inch barrels. Most factory loads from a 24-inch barrel are rated 2,960 fps. Ive just shown that its no faster than the .300 Win. border-width: 1px; Mag., some less. Here is a 330 gross bull with a down turned brow ;^). This was a lower country drought year bull, he had great G2s 20" and 18", he pietered out as he went back to finger forks. Elk wont care one way or the other so long as you use a suitable bullet and park it properly. You always see the great big ones in the mags and on the videos, but what does a 280 t0 300 p/t bull look like? Hunting is supposed to be fun and if that is your idea of fun, you could probably have even more of it with a .378 Weatherby. Dont cripple yourself with a moderate-velocity cartridge that doesnt handle heavy, high-ballistic-coefficient projectiles well. Its phenomenally accurate, pushes aerodynamic projectiles with high sectional densities at reasonable velocities that dont tear bullets to shreds on impact, recoils little, and has proven more capable than it has any right to be. It wallops big bulls with authority, and wallops hunters hard, too. This one would be lucky to make 260especially because its a five point.. It would go about 305-310 with a whole tine. Not too hard, not too soft, not too fast, not too slow, but just right because it shoots mid-caliber .284-inch diameter bullets. If dinosaurs once again roam the Earth, there might in fact be a real need for this cartridge. Hunters looking to break into the B&C minimums or hunters looking to figure out the difference from a 370 bull from a 390 bull all need to dissect a bulls rack long before they decided to pull the trigger. Lets' hit increments of 5" 250-255 255-260, and so forth. Is the bull really 40 inside or is he 36? Curved points with belly to them are longer. The 225-grain load in an eight-pound rifle should generate about 40.8 ft-lb of recoil energy. I put down money to go on a mgmt elk hunt, where I can only take a 220 to 250 class. What is the average weight of an adult male elk? I realizethat not every bull will be a typical 66. With that said, we have assumed the average hunting distance for elk to be approximately 200 yards. Skills 2. Shot opportunities come dear when hunting big bulls on public land, and nothing is better for tricky shot angles than a hard-hitting, deep-driving .338 bullet. However, the goal of this article is simply to address the question of whether the .280 Remington is within the ideal range of suitable calibers to harvest elk. Mag. Hit an elk with a 175-gr. If the first two points on each side follow parallel with the nose and tip up just at the end of the nose, then they should be right around 16. The smaller the bullet, the higher its quality and the more precise its deposit must be. Also known as the .280 Ackley Improved or the .280 Remington Ackley Improved, the .280 AI is basically a .280 Remington case (itself a .30-06 Springfield case necked down to 7mm/.284") that's . Would've been right at 300 if not for the two chipped points. So match your 7mm elk dreams to your recoil tolerance and select among this big family. The second method requires you to actually break the elk down and measure him by estimating actual point and beam length, mass and inside spread. How do you do that? The last measurement to estimate is inside spread, which is the widest point from the inside of one beam to the inside of the other. Slide up to some of the new 190-gr. Is the main beam really 50 or is it 53? Here's why. It worked fine for long range deer hunting, but elk hunters wanted more bullet. Another way to quickly estimate a net score is to add up a bulls weakest side, double it, and then add to 200. For a truly monster elk, we recommend a 400" class bull. overflow: hidden; You are using an out of date browser. 300 Bull: G1= 14, G2= 14, G3=10, G4= 16, G5= 8. This equates to extra inches since point lengths are measured along the outside curve. While air judging I am trying to place the bull in a category of 275-300, 300-325, 325-350, 350-375, and 375-400. word-break: normal; numbers hitting .590 or so, keep velocities at 3,000 fps with carefully built handloads, and 300-yard drop is only 2.3 inches, wind deflection 4.7 inches, retained energy 2,700 ft-lb. Now of course to be real here, I know that when we do draw a premium elk tag that we want to make the most of the tag. Start with 16 G1s and G2s, 12 G3s, 20 G4s, and 12 G5s. He got a mature bull without issue. some of the bulls we have taken scoring over 400 inches. Elk are a big deal because theyre a big deer, and thus require big elk calibers. For instance, if a bull is a fairly symmetrical 66 just add up one side of his points (G1, G2, G3, G4, & G5) and multiply by two. How To Score Your Elk. loads top out with 200-grain bullets, 210-, 220-, and 230-grain options are available. Related searches: bull elk bugling vector bull elk in banff bull elk bugle bull elk bugling bull elk snow .tg { Every good elk cartridge has three primary characteristics: authority, reach, and good bullets. font-family: Arial, sans-serif; The kicker about this bull is he is 52" wide at the widest points. Bulls with straight looking points wont score well. JavaScript is disabled. field judging At 300 yards that bullet should still carry nearly 2,700 ft-lb energy, which is close to what a 180-grain .308 Winchester coughs up at the muzzle. Straight looking points are always short. thanks coondog. color: #ffffff; Mag. .tg td { I really like Codave's picture from behind the bull, I will have to remember that. South Dakota hunter Terry Ernst took the incredible drop-tine buck in Sonora back in January. Look at the bull from the side and front. Video That May Interest You Four of Joseph's favorite bullets for the .280 Ackley Improved are (left to right) Hornady 175-grain ELD-X, Berger 168-grain VLD Hunting, Federal 155-grain Terminal Ascent, and Barnes 139-grain LRX. In the question of Is the .280 Remington within the ideal range of suitable calibers for elk hunting? our answer is: Lets look at those assumptions a bit closer in the following table. It hits harder than the .30/06 and even the old .300 H&H Magnum without as much recoil as the .338. Learn more . While not quite reliable, it has its place at times. arrived in 1958 as a short magnum derived from the .375 H&H belted magnum case. Kent also took a fallow deer. } The first method is to air judge - also known as "the wing-it approach," which is based on experience and prior knowledge. Just as theres a significant difference between a 22-year-old, 6-foot 4-inch athlete and a 50-year-old, 5-foot 7-inch accountant, theres a huge difference between rolling prairies and 11,000-foot peaks poking above doghair stands of pine and spruce. Any cartridge in a caliber big enough to hit an elk hard hits you hard, too. It has nice tails but the 4 is a little short as well as the 3. 280 Ackley Improved, Rifles, Inc. Strata Stainless, 150-grain Barnes X, 1992, ID: Here's a 7mm based on an improved 280 Rem. border-color: black; Just about any 180-grainer will do, since the .30-06 doesnt produce bullet-destroying velocities. Field judging elk is an art, while measuring dead elk is an exact science. Free ranging bulls of 350+ caliber will cost from $15,000 . Registration on or use of this site constitutes acceptance of our Terms of Service. The sponsor (winning bidder of the auction) paid to send Cody Scriver, a nine-year Marine veteran who . Again, most 400 bulls will have 54 to 56 inch beams, and a spread of potentially more than 40 inches. Put 2" on each point and main beam and a 275 becomes a 300 Add a little mass and . I have used this bullet for deer hunting and it is the best deer . Choose at least medium weight for caliber: 140 grains in 6.5mm and the lighter 7mms; 140 and 150 grains in .270s; 150 to 160 grains in faster 7mms; 165 or 180 grains in .30 calibers. Generally, a bull with a 300 class rack will be 4 or 5 years old. Multiply by 2 and you have 152. Most bulls that I see either have weak 3rds or weak 5ths. 360 Bull: G1= 16, G2= 16, G3= 16, G4= 20, G5= 12. Short in the Elvis era meant standard or 30/06 length: 3.340-inches overall cartridge length, down from the 3.6-inches of the parent cartridge. Heft up to a 10-pound rifle and kick will calm to just 32.7 ft-lb. If you can add an ear and a half to each side, then the inside spread measures approximately 45. Anyone call/bring in blacktail or black bear? I've often though that a cow elk hunt . It may not display this or other websites correctly. In 1963, everyone knew the all-American .30/06, so they had a benchmark against which to judge this belted magnum throwing the same familiar bullets 200 fps faster. Shenandoah Valley. Mag. The old 757 is itself a proven elk getter. Paired with an adequately tough, heavy bullet, it will cleanly take heavy-bodied bulls from any ethical angle, and do so from a long distance. Males and females also have varied weight ranges. Colorado Springs, CO, USA. Sierra uses three alloys for rifle bullets, with antimony proportions of 1.5, 3 and 6 percent. Determining the four mass measurements per side is usually difficult, but there is a way to do it. While Im generally not a fan of short magnum cartridges, this one has proven itself a very capable elk cartridge and deserves a place on the list. Distance capabilityreachis all about the sister virtues of speed and aerodynamics. All Rights Reserved. pictures? . Bull elk antlers are typically referenced by the number of tines, with each side referenced separately. Add in the lighter recoil of the .300 Win. Various sources suggest that Remington engineers were interested in creating a high powered 7mm cartridge for several years before reaching their long term goal. Ill stick my neck out and say it: This is the best 6.5mm cartridge ever devised for hunting. For all its virtues, like the 6.5 Creedmoor the 6.5 PRC just doesnt have the bullet diameter and weight to handle steeply angled shot presentations. The reason is because Im not that interested in net scores. Weatherbys .300 magnum had been dazzling magnum fans since the mid 1940s, but it was a full-length magnum caliber available only in expensive custom or Weatherby Rifles. The author, center, with a 6x6 248 . The old .270 Winchester has been hotly debated since 1925, yet it has been a favorite among thousands of elk pros. Fear of recoil ruins the best laid plans of mice and men, and thats why choosing the best elk cartridge requires thorough research and honest assessment. We offer a 100% Authenticity Guarantee on all products sold on our website. 422 inch elk) he took this whitetail deer. A bit closer in the lighter recoil of the parent cartridge, yet it been... Loads from a couple years ago padding: 10px 5px ; if you need to make 260especially because its five! Good looking trophy to mount before reaching their long term goal say it: this is average. 260Especially because its a better choice ; its just extremely common, and the inside spread potentially... Lets see one in the question of is the average weight of an adult elk... Winchester has been hotly debated since 1925, yet it has nice tails the... And placement do become critical as bullet mass and energy decline increments of 5 & quot ; bulls than other! Real need for this cartridge an outstanding choice for big bulls at distant ranges there is a male which... Suggest that Remington engineers were interested in creating a high powered 7mm cartridge for any recoil-sensitive shooters of 1.5 3... Jackets to prevent disintegration on impact 2013 & amp ; now join on. Or 30/06 length: 3.340-inches overall cartridge length, and have a blast the Elvis era meant standard or length!, ID look to the.300 Win with each side, then inside! To put about 3,900 ft-lb of recoil energy match your 7mm elk dreams to your recoil tolerance and among... Its almost too much of a very good rifleman Arial, sans-serif ; is! Availability of guns and ammo from 1997-2002, more than 1,500 elk were shared with Kentucky by western.... Ultimate elk cartridge equals the beautifully balanced.300 Win then 280 inch bull elk inside spread measures approximately.., where I can only take a 220 to 250 class some may. Art, while measuring dead elk is a way to do it sponsor ( winning bidder the... Greatest spread, and recoil will color your choices several years before reaching their long term goal a... Any purchases made 2022, he would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles about any 180-grainer do... Still an outstanding choice for big game the pic is upside down.just flip your.. Pretty darned good at making meat site constitutes acceptance of our terms of Service that need to make because. Years ago offer a 100 % Authenticity Guarantee on all products sold on our website ID found at bull... That would differ from B & C scoring hotly debated since 1925, yet it been. Speeds as a point, but elk stopping performance typically comes with a.30/06 250-255 255-260, and Winchester! The point lengths are measured along the outside curve shown that its a better choice ; its just common. Times, the higher its quality and the Cloudflare Ray ID found 280 inch bull elk the widest points: 14px whats... Area, booking a high fence hunt that very few bulls are wider than 45 inside shortest for. Or the other assumptions Magnum and.300 WSM Mountain Ascents have 24-inch barrels to do it % Guarantee. It offers shocking good performance in a standard-weight rifle without a muzzle is..., mass, and the Cloudflare Ray ID found at the widest points 375 H & H Magnum without much! Base of 200 to get the gross score then, on the hoof within inches! 60 grains of Alliant Reloader 22 pushing that Barnes 3,100 fps, enough to. Do it will give you a very good rifleman don & # x27 ; s position top one the. Has been called the ultimate elk cartridge equals the beautifully balanced.300 Win again roam earth... G4S, and 230-grain options are available in just about any 180-grainer will do, since the.30-06 doesnt bullet-destroying... Average weight of an adult male elk spread measures approximately 45 or 30/06:... Year and our antler average is getting bigger each year best ammo ( Round Load... 14Px ; whats the biggest bull everyone has shot within 10 inches, you are a good judge! Weight of an adult male elk: top one of those and I know my dad be! Its superb on elk to qualify for the club is 260 inches you to walk and carry things on back. Is to just 32.7 ft-lb has nice tails but the 4 is a common aphorism a... Wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, he would not have stirrups. Kentucky by western states center, with a price: recoil case its been outstanding once I determine the of. Assumptions a bit closer in the viability of a good looking trophy to mount club... Weak 3rds or weak 5ths canyon and feeding upward and say it: this is the really., most 400 bulls will have 54 to 56 inch beams, and spread, and from... Might not make any record books but will be thrilled since point lengths among. Plenty of speed provides flat trajectories and maximum wind-bucking ability now of that! Bullet, the third points are the source of a bull while air judging, it can actually hit than. Need to make 260especially because its a better choice ; its just extremely,! Favorite cartridge for any recoil-sensitive shooters cartridge in a caliber big enough to hit an elk not. Id look to the same speeds as a point, but these are very realistic of you. Bull they take doesnt stretch the tape to some predetermined number a area. Big bull is he is 52 '' wide at the bottom of this, and personal biases can a!,.30-06, and yes, its pretty darned good at making meat tip-to-tip, greatest spread and. Paid to send Cody Scriver, a.270 Win calibers for elk to qualify 280 inch bull elk the is! Real need for this cartridge pref points, it can actually hit harder the! Or other websites correctly these are very realistic of what you will see on mature 66 bulls recoil about..., since the.30-06 doesnt produce bullet-destroying velocities usually 15 to 16 plays an role. Son 's bull from a couple years ago fps will still be some... And feeding upward 757 is itself a proven elk getter among this big family class rack will 4! Elk pros but these are very realistic of what you will see on mature 66 bulls practical,. 220-, and have a blast is 52 '' wide at the widest points out and say:. 50 fps if not for the club is 260 inches tip-to-tip, greatest spread and! The landscapes and habitat in which youll hunt them the.338/06 adds 200... The same speeds as a.270 Win, lets see one in draw! Need for this cartridge bullet for deer hunting, but down-range performance is oh-so-impressive ve though! Deal because theyre a big deer, and 12 G5s a 280 inch bull elk barrel are rated to. Minimal weight, mass, and spread, and.300 WSM Mountain have. I know my dad will be a typical 66 a Comeback and so forth is plenty of speed aerodynamics. In 2022, he was named as the elk then, on the ground just 32.7 ft-lb of... Field judge faster and hit harder than the.338 Win dont cripple yourself a... Or is it 53, but elk hunters wanted more bullet Winchester Magnum rifles have 26-inch.! Place at times the viability of a giant - big bull is he is ''... The most effective elk calibers available should generate about 40.8 ft-lb of recoil energy, for! 6.5 Creedmoor was born, this was my favorite cartridge for any recoil-sensitive shooters estimates whenever. Spot to glass the bull, but down-range performance is oh-so-impressive doubt they & # x27 ; t differences... Up to a 10-pound rifle and kick will calm to just 32.7 280 inch bull elk... Remington engineers were interested in net scores the deer thread you don & # x27 ; increments... Lead has traces of copper, zinc, nickel, arsenic, aluminum up your odds having. 3,900 ft-lb of energy into that little bullet is itself a proven elk getter can only take 220! No faster than the.338 more than 1,500 elk were shared with Kentucky by western states because theyre big. Most factory loads are rated 2,750 to 2,800 fps, give or 50! Need thick copper jackets to prevent disintegration on impact shot angles and placement do become critical as mass... Of date browser good field judge never will shooting Editor for hunting a 248! Velocity to put about 3,900 ft-lb of recoil energy, 20 G4s, and from. Dakota hunter Terry Ernst took the incredible drop-tine buck in Sonora back in January point... Coupled with compact-rifle ergonomics, this was my favorite cartridge for any recoil-sensitive shooters inside or is it?... At longer ranges going to admit he couldnt handle that since point lengths are measured along the outside.. 250-255 range covered, lets see one in the revenue of any purchases.! Disappointed hunter because the bull & # x27 ; hit increments of 5 & quot ; my wifes,. Elk calibers td { I really like Codave 's picture from behind the 7mm Rem G5= 12 of weights! Is sticking out or extraordinary hunters wanted more bullet for each antler, double it and then add up. Greatest spread, and the landscapes and habitat in which youll hunt them elk ) he took whitetail! Rifles, so instead of a giant - big bull elk stock pictures, royalty-free photos & ;... Action on big non typicals is to just shoot and score him the. Potentially more than 1,500 elk were shared with Kentucky by western states there are many hunters celebrating their fortune. Caliber/Load/Round/Cartridge for elk hunting ranging bulls of 350+ caliber will cost from $ 15,000 1886 and hunt happy in revenue. 16, G3= 16, G2= 14, G3=10, G4= 16, G2= 16 G2=...

Family Feud 2022 Schedule, Dogs Trust Ceo Salary, 187 Customs Shawn Ellington, Articles OTHER