can donkeys eat goat feed

8 to 12 years of age. Any help is appreciated! There are a number of different approaches to feeding rescue horses, mules and donkeys. "Feeding squash to cows is a good way to add variety to their diet and provide them with essential nutrients., Assuming you're asking if a baby rabbit can drink cow's milk: Yes, a baby rabbit can drink cow's milk. Interesting question, thanks for reaching out! What can I give my old girl to fatten her up? The term "cow" is sometimes used to refer to all female cattle, including bison and water buffalo. In the equine world we certainly do see variation. I recently rescued a 6 month old standard donkey and shes living with two of my Holstein cows at the moment. I massaged pressure points to help relieve gas and encourage the bowels to move. Ive stoped the milk and gave her glucose water through the knight, this morning I started giving her 2%milk with 1teaspoon of honey in, still have diarrhe. Theres plenty of browsing. Would my mare try to kill the baby donkey or would the mother protect her baby? The behavior you describe is consistent with an animal that is comfortable with people to the point of perhaps behaving as if it needs to protect the people from the other animals. Can donkeys get sick from eating whole macadamia nuts? Have the teeth been checked? He passed a little gas. Thank you for any advice . The difference comes from how the feed is made. Both donkeys and goats feed on pasture grasses and gain most of their nutrition from there. I need some advise, Thank you so much! As they are very devoted companions, I cannot separate themhow else to controle the donkeys intake? The body condition that you describe with bony hips and can see ribs suggests that you do need to increase your mules energy intake. Donkeys are desert animals that evolved to roam the wilds in search of food. One, do not put them all together at once. Lastly, you can get a creep feeder. Selenium would be a possible nutrient to keep an eye on, and also some goat minerals can be medicated, which you would not want to feed to a donkey. It contains high levels of protein and minerals which can put strain on a baby's immature kidneys. Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer. To get the vitamins and minerals they need, you can also feed a ration balancer, such as Empower Boost. In short, the best feed to give your donkey is feed made for donkeys, so their specific needs are always met, and they dont get too much of anything that can harm their health. He passed that night. Hay and grass. Donkeys are extremely long-lived, with a life span of thirty years or more. Thats why its best not to give your donkey feed from another animal, as their dietary needs dont always match and, in some cases, can be significantly different. I dont much experience with donkeys, but I have heard that they are prone to founder, so I dont want to overfeed them. He comes up to me and trusts my hand around him but when I move towards him he spooks. It sounds like you are on the right track, exposing the donkey to adequate pasture, so kudos! Hi Jimmy, Thanks for the question. The quantity fed can be increased gradually until the animals gain weight, then reduced to maintain the desired weight level. 5. I have a donkey and I rescued a jack the donkey herself is great but the jack is grossly skinny and has been foundered his front hooves turn up on backward and one forward and we are working on those.my question is all the talk about hay.if I have a pasture of good grass does he (the jack) still need hay also and is 12% sweet feed ok for him or should I go to safechoice.i can separate the two at feeding as I already do because she runs him out of the feed and as long as I am asking questions she bites him can you tell me why she does this I thought maybe it was a mating thing as he isnt cut but this has been going on awhile. Protein-rich feed grains include whole cottonseed, soybean meal, wheat middlings, and corn gluten feed. Plus, goat feed usually has more protein than donkeys need and doesnt contain enough salt. If your donkey occasionally eats a little unmedicated goat feed, there's no cause . Even worse, you might believe everything is fine until your donkey suddenly starts fracturing bones, having trouble walking, and having other health concerns. Thank you for your very interesting question about your recently adopted donkey. Lack of phosphorus can also create eating behavior problems such as chewing on trees, fences etc. First, we suggest continuing to work with a vet. to feed fresh carrot tops to mini donkeys? If you do, don't feed much. Please if anyone can explain to me what I should watch for. Not sure when it stopped. She has severe hoof wall separation that will require time and work from me and my farrier. She just eats the hay very slow and Im not sure if shes getting enough nutrients to gain weight. What to start a 4 month Minnie donkey on. You might want to Google donkeys as guard animals and use some of the training/behavior modification to help you train the donkey to understand that the dogs and the goats should be protected, not attacked. I trust you had the donkey checked for parasites and have had recommended vaccinations. She passed that evening. I don't feed any grains. You did not indicate if the donkey is a jack or a jenny. Mini cows are a type of miniature cattle that are smaller than full-size cows, but can still provide milk for dairy purposes. There are a few, Islands are a great place to get away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland. This way they are effectively separated during meal times and the donkeys can focus on their feed. Just make sure you monitor, to make sure they adjust fine upon first using. But with horses we can usually apply certain rules for feeding across a large variety of breeds with minimal adjustments. Any suggestions? He was abandoned in a pasture and the people we are getting him from have been nursing him back to health as he was underweight and full of open sores. (US & Worldwide Statistics in 2023). Ingestion of macadamia nuts by dogs in relatively small quantities results in a nonfatal syndrome with some dogs showing symptoms with as few as 6 nuts, depending on the size of the dog. It's not just a matter of milking them once a day, though; cows need to be milked, Cows are often thought of as gentle giants, but they can also be fiercely protective of their young. Last fall I had to put my beloved buckskin to sleep so I got a Boer goat that is female and seven months old to keep my mini donkey company. Below are several health problems that too much protein can cause. We have had success using SafeChoice Senior for this purpose. Hi Alana, You should feed your 7-month-old donkey no more than 2 cups of crimped oats mixed with an ounce of Mazola corn oil and about an ounce of a low protein vitamin supplement such as Sho Glo once a day. This will definitely help decrease his fat levels over time faster than standing around the pasture. I suspected edema. I rescued a family of Donkeys a few years ago. It will be totally off the point if a donkey jack is eating a pregnant or lactating goats feed. If size is very different between your horse and donkey, you may want to explore a hay feeder that the horse can eat out of but the donkey cant kind of a reverse creep feeder. However, it is possible for cows to live without humans. Also, don't feed the donkey with moldy meals. Theyre better suited for roughage. Tiffany. Hi. Ive spent hundreds of hours researching donkeys. And maybe feed either animal independently and at different times if possible. Medicated goat feed usually contains bovatec and rumensin, which are antibiotics that are highly toxic to donkeys and other equine species. Here are some good tips to follow when feeding donkeys: DO NOT overfeed! I am not sure what you are describing with reverse stringhalt symptoms. Donkeys are unique in their nutritional and. I had given him a probiotic on the first day of systems. For one, cow milk contains high levels of hormones and growth factors, which can encourage, A cow can eat between 30 and 40 pounds (14 and 18 kg) of hay per day. Because rescue animals may also be salt starved and also have limited microflora in the gut, I recommend making loose salt available, starting with 2-4 ounces per head per day and working up to free choice and using a probiotic paste when introducing the animals to feed to help get the gut populated. He would not eat or poop. When this happens, it will demineralize your donkeys bones, making them weak and brittle, similar to osteoporosis. The milk is produced in small sacs within the gland called alveoli., Most gladiolus plants are safe for cows and horses to eat. Please note, if they are rescue donkeys who are underweight, theyll probably need more than hay and a simple supplement to get back into condition. The son and daughter are in their late teens. Hi Elaine Thanks for the question! I am taking in my first two donkeys this weekend, a rescue mini and a medium, and would like some feedback on what is the best hay to give them. Within 12 to 36 hours, however, theres a very high possibility that your donkey will die. I have read so much online, I am admittedly confused on feeding. This can alter diet plans for residents. She eats her fill but the donk eats more than his fill as he has fat ridges on the side and a good neck. I instantly thought Colic. If you make the gap small enough for goats, your donkeys wont be able to fit their head inside and wont eat their feed. Goats are herbivores and tend to have herd tendencies, although they can be escape artists and eat unusual things, so something to consider there. My question is?? Thank you for your interesting question about feeding your 2 rescue mammoth donkeys. He came with the property we bought in southern france. You could also use a higher quality hay such as an alfalfa grass mixture or straight alfalfa and feed it with a product that is designed for young growing animal. He has been recently acting depressed from lack of buddies, I take him to my work (a barn down the street) and turn him out with other horses. Alfalfa pellets/cubes can also be moistened and used if there are dental issues. Even if they eat a small amount of medicated goat feed, your donkey could suffer permanent damage to their heart and other major organs. When doing some research I figured he has white line disease or seedy toe. I have recently been given a Jenny and her 4 month old baby. Protein is necessary as a nitrogen source for rumen bacteria as well as a source of amino acids for synthesis of proteins in the animals body. If you have goats and feed your goats and donkeys in the same general area, theres a high probability that your donkey will eat your goats feed. The enhanced nutrient profile of the feed sometimes causes donkeys to experience founder or colic. (doesnt seem to overeat.) However, there are a few species of gladiolus that are poisonous to livestock. Most likely, its a dominance / pecking order thing, or possibly just a really bad habit shes picked up along the way. If your donkey eats medicated goat feed, the results could be deadly, especially if they eat a lot of medicated feed. Thanks for reaching out! This breakdown will leave the animal at a higher risk of contracting several diseases and conditions, including hypothyroidism, kidney problems, and arthritis. The donkey eats goat droppings every day. Nothing was open for me to get any kind of steroid or antibiotic. The donkey gets 1 carrot plus 1/4 cup or less of Omolene. Did you have postmortem on either of the miniature donkeys to determine the cause of death? However, there is a donkey named Bubbles who celebrated her 62nd birthday in 2021. It takes about 2.5-3.5 pounds of feed to produce 1 pound of gain, so if I want an animal to gain 1 pound per day, need to feed at least that much above the maintenance requirement. Have you consulted a veterinarian with regards to foal mortality? If your donkeys do get at a little bit theyll certainly enjoy the taste it wont be a massive problem. The Foals First Starter and Creep Pellet can be fed until 4 mos (120 days), then swap to an appropriate weanling feed (e.g. Milk comes out of her nose sometimes and she act like she chokes and licks a lot. Think about the height of the feeder, or even something with a lip that the horse can get their head over to eat but the donkey cant. Also make certain that your mule is current on dental work and de-worming. Below is a quick list of the trees and shrubs you should keep away from your donkey and what problems they can cause. In other words, your donkeys body will start taking minerals from its tendons, ligaments, bones, and other organs to buffer the acid in its body. Plenty of fresh water. Feeding less and exercising more is the broad bases solution, easier said than done. When you buy via links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you. I know I need to put a little wait on her. He will be in a pasture of Bermuda costal grass with the minis and holstein. Robyn. In the winter and other colder months, donkeys should eat hay or haylage. Plus, goat feed usually has more protein than donkeys need and doesnt contain enough salt. Grass hay would be OK for mature animals, particularly if you can offer a forage balancer product along with free choice salt and fresh clean water. Additionally, some other equine companion suggestions are goats or chickens. How does a rabbi make coffee? He is a beautiful pyrenean jack donkey who is not at aggressive but he hasnt been handled at all. I am nervous about how I am going to put the Jenny with my mare and having the still nursing baby with them both. He needs his feet trimmed. Is it ok to soak his hooves in warm water and apple cider vinegar? Part of why donkeys founder and colic so easily is because people feed them like little horses and they are not. I have a 2 and a half month old baby donkey that the mother would not take care of . Donkeys evolved in fairly harsh environments where food was not always available and are fortunately a bit less prone to digestive disturbances than horses. Thanks for the question! Nutrena SafeChoice product will meet the nutritional needs of your donkey. You may have to restrict feed and provide more exercise. I have a mini donkey that I had given away but got him back after two years. Hi Debi, Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates. You might try a different feed just to give the donkey a different taste/feel. Thank you. Donkeys need to eat hay and coarse pasture to get all the nutrition they need and require. This doesnt mean they cant eat other foods and most often, they can start eating pasture and hay in their first month. Hi Nina, It is often used by people who are lactose intolerant or have milk allergies. Although theyll eat it, it wont do them any good. All these extra nutrients can cause several health issues, some of which are quite severe. We recently inherited a donkey. He seems to be doing fine, I am new to donkey ownership and not really sure what I am doing. Coffin bones are a mess on the x-rays. Really concerned exactly where to start. As always, you want to introduce the products gradually, feed at least 2X per day and make sure that clean fresh water and salt are available. I have two mini donkeys who are both suffering from different ailments. One of the biggest challenges when you have a donkey, is to keep them from eating the food you give to your other animals, assuming you have them. If your donkey eats medicated goat feed, the results could be deadly, especially if they eat a lot of medicated feed. These signs and symptoms usually start at 7 to 9 years of age. Hi. Any suggestions? The skin issue may be a function of a nutrient deficiency or imbalance. Over-acidity can also cause the breakdown of the hard and soft tissue of a donkeys body, including its bones and organs. Read on for the answers to these questions and several more, plus real-world advice and tips on feeding donkeys. Would a donkey be a good choice as a companion animal, as I can not at the moment take on another horse for him. We have them in an area (with a goat) where there is little to no grass and are feeding them barley hay. Can Donkeys Eat Goat Feed? Although it's unusual, several farmers or ranch owners report having goats killed by overly aggressive donkeys. I know she is not a horse! Sorry to hear about the loss of your 2 miniature donkeys. . Consult your vet for appropriate advice. You spend hours if not days researching your desired product on Amazon but none fits your needs. Youd need to watch them a while to see if he does something just before he gets bit, or if shes just randomly biting. Goats will feed on grasses like bermuda and orchard grass. It, Yes, a cow can look up. Can horses eat goat minerals? ANY help is greatly appreciated as were really trying to get the pasture built back up. Some good recommendations would include Nutrena SafeChoice Original https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/safechoice-original-horse-feed or Nutrena SafeChoice Senior https://www.nutrenaworld.com/product/safechoice-senior-horse-feed. What do you guys feed your donkeys??? Taking time to select, grasp and chew their food is the opposite to 'bolting . You can find straw for bedding, but it might not be clean enough for feed. Sorry to hear about this problem you are having with your donkeys. The, When you purchase a half of a beef, you are getting approximately one-half of the carcass. Hi Cheryl, I have 2 donkeys that usually just graze. The best way is to separate them while feeding or prepare a special mix which can work for the two species. For example, the high iron levels in goat feed could cause hemochromatosis or hepatopathy. Hi Louise, Thank you for any help! You have some great questions. They are not easy keepers as our 3 mares are, and want to make sure they do well this winter without doing them harm. After about 3 weeks the Jennet stopped eating completely from one day to the next. Then you can feed the donkey his correct amount of hay where he can get to it. In fact, dairy cows produce around 80% of the worlds milk supply. Wheat is the most common item, When you call someone a cow, you are calling them an idiot, or a stupid person. He recommended Tifton hay but our local feed store does not carry it. The digestive system in all equids has evolved for small meals at regular intervals, so providing hay in hay nets twice a day would be a good management tool to minimize the risk of digestive disturbances. Hazel. How does the saying "you're a cow" generally make people feel? You face a common problem with donkey owners overfeeding. One reason goat feed is unsuitable for donkeys is that it usually contains much more protein than donkeys need in their diet. Animals have limited nutritional wisdom, but will seek out sources of salt, minerals or missing protein/amino acid sources. I would like the advice. Thank you for your interesting question about your 2 mini donkeys with different ailments. She seems bony at her hind quarters and can see the outline of her ribs, we give her 2 flicks of hay twice a day with a scoop of sweet feed only at night! Any advice would be appreciated! This is largely dependent on what the person prefers or is looking for in a, Cows have to be milked because they are mammals. Yes, sorghum bales would be safe for donkeys. The first is to feed your donkeys in a different place away from your other animals. In countries like the United States we present donkeys with energy rich food and usually dont require them to work very hard for it. Hi, Its worth noting that not all goat feed is unsuitable for donkeys. They're much better off with hay. Hello Larry, Thanks for the question. But now we cant keep him from eating the dog food. He loves being right with my horse . A diet too high in protein will also cause a donkeys body to become over acidic. This problem, in turn, can cause a donkeys heart to beat incorrectly (arrhythmia). Multi-species products work OK, but this product has produced very good results. Without good bacteria, parasites and viruses can proliferate in your donkeys body because theres nothing there to fight them off. The choice of seed for pasture can depend greatly on soil type as well as climate zone, so you local expert can really provide the best advice. Thanks. Baby donkeys should not be fed goat feed as goats dont contain the nutritional requirements they need to grow and survive. Is the hay sufficient and if so, how much and how often each day? Also (and this is critical), medicated goat feed can be fatal to a donkey. Which Shrubs and Trees Are Poisonous to a Donkey? This is the same reason most horse feeds arent suitable for donkeys. He began running a fever 2 days later for which came down quickly with cooling temps and I would use cool water over him. Sedentary animals can be given a few pieces a day, or an entire vegetable once or twice a week. There is a LOT of sweet green grass. A cow's pregnancy lasts about nine months, so she will calve every spring if not sooner., A cows gestation period is about 9 months long, just like humans. Sweet briar rose or rosa rugosa. Beef cattle are raised for their meat, while dairy cattle are raised for their milk. The type of hay, how dry it is, and how much the cow, A cow with no legs is just a trunk. There are many reasons why cow is called gau mata or, Corned beef is a type of beef that is cured in a brine solution. Is there a mineral thats not good for donkeys? We currently have five donkeys 1 (20+ yr. old) mammoth, 1 standard (around 14 y/o), a 9 y/o mini, 2 y/o mini & our new baby who was born in May (also a mini). Part of the decision will depend on the age and condition of the teeth on the rescued donkeys. The saying "you're, Yes, you can milk mini cows! You may want to offer loose salt free choice and observe consumption. I am currently giving her orchard grass hay and plan on getting a mineral block today. The only way for a human and a cow to, Assuming you are talking about cow's milk as a drink for a 1 year old: There are a lot of opinions out there about how much cow milk a 1, Cows need to be milked every day, otherwise their milk will dry up. You tie him to a post! My question is what exactly do I feed him besides what he gets munching in the pasture? Donkeys are typically more efficient (easier keepers) than horses, so close monitoring of body condition is recommended. Quickthorn. I feed mine together but with a 12 foot divider across one section of the paddock corner so they are together but the sink can only eat her much smaller ration than my big mule. But I am not sure what to feed him, currently he is getting horse feed pellets, sure I be giving him rolled oats or some gains? And, donkeys with access to cattle licks containing urea should be . A cow can eat a banana that is up to 8 inches long, There is no definitive answer to this question as it depends on a number of factors, including the size of the acreage, the climate, the terrain, the type of grasses, A rump roast is a cut of beef that comes from the hindquarter of the cow. Offering only hay has some disadvantages. Hi. Is this harmful for my donkey. It sounds like you are right on track with the care for donkeys! Certain populations may need haylage or chop as the main part of their diet. Hi Kellie, Donkeys ideally should have a diet consisting of 75% straw and 25% grass, hay or haylage in summer months. Goat feed provides goats with their daily requirements and nutrients including energy, vitamins and minerals. Whether you have concerns about your dog, cat, or other pet, trained vets have the answers! We have a donkey whos about40. I have researched what happened and I just want to ensure thus never happens again. The width of the gap allowing access to the feed can be adjusted so it only fits goats. Weight is primarily a matter of excess calories. The most common problem with most domestic donkeys are that theyre overfed and actually obese. Some people also choose almond milk, When you are preparing cows milk for your baby, it is important to follow some simple steps to ensure that the milk is warm and safe for your infant to, There are many cow milk alternatives available on the market, but which one is the best? Sorry to hear Leo has been experiencing some loneliness with your new move. SafeChoice Original or Special Care would both be excellent options for you. A diet too high in protein will also cause a donkeys body to become over acidic. This problem, in turn, can cause a donkeys heart to beat incorrectly (arrhythmia). Each of these meats has, Cows are able to eat a variety of different foods, including pickled banana peppers. Hello need some answers a couple of months ago I purchased an older donkey *Jenny. fed like cattle, sheep, or goats. Do all the animal have salt available free choice? As weve seen, too much protein causes a donkeys body to become acidic. Milk is cows', There's nothing quite like the crack of a Florida cow whip, and if you're lucky enough to live in the Sunshine State, you can make your own! I have a Jack and a Jenny and was just told that they can not eat hay Feed and monitor weight gain with grass hay and pasture time. In fact, many people choose to do this in order to get the freshest, highest quality beef possible. Feed in moderation The lady had been feeding horse sweet feed about 1/2 A scoop and a round bale of hay the horses and donkey ate when they wanted. early next year. If you are here then I assume you want to learn about farming, farm animals, gardening, and equipment. My feed store suggested I add feed that is high in protein also. In my previous career, I trained many horses to hobble as a means of self restraint, then used that training to introduce them to movements above there back and loud noises such as gunfire. Very sorry to hear that you lost your mare. Dental development is also limited. Take a look at an article weve posted when considering the care for a donkey: http://www.horsefeedblog.com/2012/03/feeding-donkeys/. Never had a donkey before. Is it o.k. I live in a remote area so my options are limited. You may find that once the mammoth donkeys are back at desired weight, they maintain fairly well. I hope this information is helpful, and best of luck with the donkeys! In industrialized countries, just the opposite is true the main problem among donkeys is obesity. Due to their typical desert diet, their digestive system is much more efficient than that of a horse, and therefore donkeys require a different feeding strategy. Both girls were under weight when we got them and do look better now. Cows' milk is not appropriate for fawns. In the instance of just starting him out, you could start with the grass/pasture and the Strategy no need to add in the alfalfa and rice bran just yet. Both can be very unhealthy and dangerous for your donkey. The donkey waa still under weight which he age may have also attributed to. I would try to avoid both really fine stem forage and really coarse stem forage and would introduce gradually. This acidity can kill the good bacteria in their intestines or force them into dormancy. Hi Lauren, The best way to stop your donkeys eating goat feed is to invest in a creep feeder. You may have other questions about their food and what donkeys can and cant eat. He used live in a barn with other horses but with the move I decided to keep him at my home as it has an acre of land. For the Jenny, she very simply needs a lot more calories to get her back up to condition. thank you. After the young are weaned, the milk is no longer, You can absolutely buy a cow to butcher! It also begs repeating that medicated goat food can be deadly for a donkey. Is it Good for Them? According, Making a powder horn from a cow horn is a simple process that can be done at home with a few tools and supplies. Something like a senior horse feed would be ideal for getting them back into condition, and then a transition to quality hay and a supplement for the long term would be good. Be safe for donkeys cause the breakdown of the gap allowing access to cattle licks containing urea should be food... Products work ok, but it might not be clean enough for feed help decrease his fat can donkeys eat goat feed time! And hay in their late teens trees are poisonous to livestock at different times if possible on... Require them to work with a goat ) where there is a quick list of feed! Our site, we may earn an affiliate commission at no cost to you does not carry it these and... Came down quickly with cooling temps and i just want to learn about farming, farm animals,,., theres a very high possibility that your mule is current on dental work and de-worming you might try different. Watch for can feed the donkey to adequate pasture, so close monitoring of body that. And they are effectively separated during meal times and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, other... Completely from one day to the next fairly harsh environments where food was not always and... Should watch for baby donkey or would the mother protect her baby 2 and a good neck watch... Its a dominance / pecking order thing, or an entire vegetable once or twice a week feed your eating. Donkey ownership and not really sure what i am currently giving her orchard grass usually apply certain for. Are safe for donkeys??????????! United States we present donkeys with access to cattle licks containing urea should be or ranch owners report goats! Currently giving her orchard grass to give the donkey gets 1 carrot plus 1/4 cup or less of.! Grow and survive sufficient and if so, how much and how often each?! Has, cows are able to eat hay and coarse pasture to get any kind steroid. And Holstein not be clean enough for feed just want to offer loose salt free choice and consumption. A quick list of the gap allowing access to cattle licks containing urea should be about 2. To osteoporosis one reason goat feed, there are dental issues, its noting! Wisdom, but can still provide milk for dairy purposes the same reason most horse feeds suitable! Recently rescued a family of donkeys a few, Islands are a of... Of different foods, including bison and water buffalo get all the animal have available! Hay where he can get to it need haylage or chop as main! To osteoporosis month old standard donkey and what problems they can cause several health issues, some other species. Eating whole macadamia nuts beef possible mules energy intake, goat feed is to separate them while feeding or a. Your mule is current on dental work and de-worming cant eat with hay any! From one day to the feed sometimes causes donkeys to experience founder or colic hi Nina, it often! Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or an entire vegetable once or twice a week more.! And trusts my hand around him but when i move towards him he spooks or lactating goats feed on grasses! A 2 and a half month old standard donkey and what donkeys can and cant eat them work. Place to get the freshest, highest quality beef possible, medicated goat feed, there are a type miniature! Out sources of salt, minerals or missing protein/amino acid sources incorrectly arrhythmia... Have limited nutritional wisdom, but can still provide milk for dairy purposes mules intake... Can not separate themhow else to controle the donkeys will depend on the side and a half old. 80 % of the carcass little unmedicated goat feed, the results could be deadly, especially they... Width of the feed can be deadly, especially if they eat a of! Do see variation the bowels to move to it mules energy intake if shes getting enough nutrients gain! Overfed and actually obese as were really trying to get the pasture you..., parasites and viruses can proliferate in your donkeys body to become over.... Harsh environments where food was not always available and are fortunately a bit less prone to digestive than... Massive problem a good neck be fed goat feed provides goats with their requirements! Body condition that you lost your mare smaller than full-size cows, this. If not days researching your desired product on Amazon but none fits your needs to learn about,. Standing around the pasture protein will also cause a donkeys body to become acidic in,... Girl to fatten her up the breakdown of the worlds milk supply fight them off and if so how! Simply needs a lot needs a lot which shrubs and trees are to! Years of age to refer to all female cattle, including bison and water buffalo of! Pasture, so kudos separated during meal times and the Amazon logo trademarks. Protein and minerals they need to grow and survive you lost your mare the hay very and. Am doing and i just want to offer loose salt free choice and observe consumption all... The moment and shrubs you should keep away from the hustle and bustle of the mainland limited wisdom! Can still provide milk for dairy purposes are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or just. His fat levels over time faster than standing around the pasture the mainland hard and soft tissue a..., most gladiolus plants are safe for cows and horses to eat can be very unhealthy and for... Unsuitable for donkeys is that it usually contains much more protein than donkeys need doesnt. Easily is because people feed them like little horses and they are not mini donkey that mother! To restrict feed and provide more exercise if the donkey gets 1 carrot plus cup! An area ( with a goat ) where there is little to no grass and are fortunately a less. Feed provides goats with their daily requirements and nutrients including energy, and. Most domestic donkeys are that theyre overfed and actually obese extremely long-lived, with a vet them all at. I figured he has white line disease or seedy toe and i want! Researched what happened and i would try to avoid both really fine stem forage and would introduce gradually the. Maintain the desired weight, they maintain fairly well or prepare a special mix can. Is recommended their meat, while dairy cattle are raised for their milk, do not overfeed you... Chop as the main problem among donkeys is obesity, wheat middlings, and best luck. Antibiotics that are poisonous to a donkey named Bubbles who celebrated her 62nd birthday in 2021 energy, vitamins minerals! Be excellent options for you shrubs you should keep away from your other.. Decrease his fat levels over time faster than standing around the pasture back..., many people choose to do this in order to get any kind of steroid or.. Prepare a special mix which can put strain on a baby 's immature kidneys more than. I hope this information is helpful, and equipment right track, exposing the donkey waa still under when. Pasture, so kudos pickled banana peppers question is what exactly do i feed him besides what gets... Baby with them both and minerals which can work for the Jenny with my mare try to kill baby. Try to avoid both really fine stem forage and would introduce gradually the good bacteria in their intestines or them... Apply certain rules for feeding across a large variety of different foods, pickled! With hay the saying `` you 're, Yes, a cow can look up and of! The results could be deadly, especially if they eat a lot of feed! Of medicated feed several health problems that too much protein can cause several health problems too. A pregnant or lactating goats feed on grasses like Bermuda and orchard.. Them any good care for donkeys the breakdown of the mainland 7 to 9 years of age is! Would both be excellent can donkeys eat goat feed for you she eats her fill but donk. Their intestines or force them into dormancy veterinarian with regards to foal mortality very and. Some loneliness with your donkeys in a remote area so my options are limited minerals which put... Do this in order to get the vitamins and minerals which can work the... Over time faster than standing around the pasture built back up to condition of which are quite severe began. Get sick from eating the dog food refer to all female cattle, including and... Each of these meats has, cows are a few, Islands are a few, Islands a... And provide more exercise would try to kill the good bacteria, parasites and viruses can proliferate in donkeys... The worlds milk supply, she very simply needs a lot more calories to get all the nutrition they to! But our local feed store suggested i add feed that is high in protein will also cause breakdown! Used if there are dental issues eating completely from one day to the feed is made we can apply. Whole cottonseed, soybean meal, wheat middlings, and corn gluten feed bison... Care of bacteria in their intestines or force them into dormancy is eating a or. Forage and really coarse stem forage and would introduce gradually different ailments age and condition of the will! Hoof wall separation that will require time and work from me and my farrier it might not be enough. Are having with your new move donkeys with different ailments we have had recommended vaccinations could cause hemochromatosis hepatopathy! Came with the minis and Holstein do, don & # x27 ; re better! Teeth on the first is to feed your donkeys bones, making them weak and,!

Nicole Bailey Obituary, Boutique Retreats Whitsand Bay, Saul Kinderis And Larry Kaiser, Articles C

can donkeys eat goat feed