cu regent candidates 2022

The seat Ortega is running for is brand new when Colorado was allotted a new congressional district after the 2020 census, state rules meant that district also got a seat on the Board of Regents. Students should not only aspire to get a degree at CU, they should expect it! .results_row td:first-child { A few dates to remember: June 6 - First day that mail-in ballots are sent to voters.. June 20 - Last day for an individual to submit a voter registration application and still get a ballot in the mail. Jared Polis appointed him to the board last year. While the costs of American universities are too high and reform is needed, the American model is the best in the world., In the District 5 contest to represent El Paso County, Democrat Ron Casados, a retired educator who worked with autistic children in public schools, said he supported free college education as a matter of global economic positioning for the United States to compete with the world., And VanDriels opponent in northern Colorado, longtime academic administrator Yolanda Ortega, also supported it, and proposed avenues to reach free college as a goal through partnerships with community colleges. letter-spacing: .03em; Prior to 2020, Republicans held a majority for over 40 years. border: 1px solid #999; It takes a good days drive to cover Colorado, but well help you do it in a few minutes. .votebox-results-cell--number { padding:7px 8px 8px; } VanDriel, the Republican, would essentially replace Heidi Ganahl, whose statewide at-large seat is being dissolved to keep the boards membership at an uneven number. position: relative; text-align: left !important; Ganahl has been a longtime backer of Donald Trump, and has also praised insurrection memo writer John Eastman. padding-bottom: 8px; display: inline-block; The candidates considered the concept of free public education, as offered in Europe, where governments provide the bulk of funding so that students who qualify can attend at a relatively minimal cost and expressed varied views. We celebrate the achievements of these faculty todays experts in their fields and the successes of our students tomorrows leaders. We need to be skeptical of administrative and service costs throughout the university system, VanDriel said. .votebox-results-cell--check { Incumbents are bolded and underlined. .election_results_text { margin-right: 10px; Whether it is Colorados NCAA-sanctioned programs, club programs, internships or student government, the benefit of participating in these activities with fellow students creates stronger graduates and long-term benefits for everyone participating. Do you want a spreadsheet of this type of data? overflow-y: hidden; How to vote | Her opponent, Amy White, has yet to report any contributions to her campaign and her website does not have a donation function. Source. Regent Sue Sharkey, R-Castle Rock, has represented the 4th Congressional District since 2011 and is term limited. margin-right: 12px; } Ballot measures, Who represents me? State Board of Education (4 seats) } margin-top: 1em; } .race_header.green { I would like to be a source of connection for communities of color to feel heard and a source that can elevate the voices of all of those who wish to challenge the level of diversity our university system embraces. Apply today! Each represents a region corresponding with a congressional district with one at-large regent representing residents statewide. I am a Colorado Springs native, retired from working with Special Education students in public schools and adults through the Resource Exchange for 25 years. Denver entrepreneur Wanda James is centering diversity as she campaigns for the open CO-1 seat on the University of Colorado Board of Regents. I am also vice chair of the Finance Committee and sit on the University Affairs Committee. .votebox-scroll-container { Jun 30, 2022 Updated Jul 13, 2022 An election judge presorts and faces ballots the correct direction before sending a box along to the machine sorter at the Denver Elections Division on Bannock Street on Tuesday, June 28, 2022, in Denver, Colo. (Timothy Hurst/The Denver Gazette) Timothy Hurst U.S. Congress | max-width: 75px; The candidates considered the concept of free public education, as offered in Europe, where governments provide the bulk of funding so that students who qualify can attend at a relatively minimal cost and expressed varied views. McNulty, who lives in Highlands Ranch, currently works at a political consulting firm. .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h3.votebox-header-office-name { .race_footer { I am proud to be running for the Board of Regents, to help guide and improve the world-class university system that CU has become. vertical-align: middle; } text-align: center; } |NOTE TO CANDIDATES|*Any registered Republican candidate who would have any voter in Douglas County eligible to vote.Read more . Greetings, faculty and staff of the University of Colorado system. Here are CU Regent candidates on free college, research, costs, and priorities for the state's flagship school Rachel Turner November 6, 2022 Some of the University of Colorado governor candidates, who are campaigning for votes to run Colorado's flagship school next week, like the idea of free public higher education to bolster the nation . There were no incumbents in this race. VanDriel said he has three main focuses: accessibility, affordability and accountability. top: -1px; Ilana Spiegel advanced from the Democratic primary for University of Colorado Board of Regents District 6 on June 30, 2020. padding-top: 3px; Listen now. Mark VanDriel } James has also been heralded as a leader in the cannabis industry. One way he hopes to achieve that is to bring fiscal responsibility to the university and keep tuition in check by cutting down on unnecessary spending. https://www.monteraforregent.com/. She assumed office on January 10, 2023. Regents arent charged with directing research. color: #fff; Colorado taxpayers fund less than 6% of that budget. } And this allows me to play out that passion that I have for the university in a way that's meaningful.. color: #888; Jared Polis introduces his Republican challenger, CU Regent Heidi Ganahl, during a meet-and-greet at Action 22, Oct. 21, 2022. And they learn from the best: CU boasts world-class faculty on all four campuses that include five Nobel laureates and 10 MacArthur Genius Fellows. .mw-body #mw-content-text .votebox .race_header h5.votebox-header-election-type { Election Colorado State Board of Regents District 8 Candidate Q&A The race features Republican Mark VanDriel and Democrat Yolanda Ortega By The Denver Post | newsroom@denverpost.com. vertical-align: top; In an interview with CPR News, McNulty said his passion for his alma mater led him to run for regent. border-radius: 50%; .inner_percentage, .inner_percentage.Nonpartisan, .inner_percentage.Independent, .inner_percentage.Constitution, .inner_percentage.unknown { I truly do know what many of you go through on a daily basis and will champion the proper care of the faculty and staff at the university. CU Regent for . McNulty also said he would continue to support the athletics programs at CU, claiming some former Regents have wanted to completely do away with collegiate sports. The application for the 2024-25 Student Regent is available, and all students currently enrolled at a UC campus are encouraged to apply. overflow: hidden; As a Regent, I will ensure that systemic audits help the campuses of CU to live up to our long-held ideals.. Tech: Matt Latourelle Nathan Bingham Ryan Burch Kirsten Corrao Beth Dellea Travis Eden Tate Kamish Margaret Kearney Eric Lotto Joseph Sanchez. width: 100% Eight of the nine seats are assigned to Colorados congressional districts, including the newly established 8th District; the final at-large seat is elected by voters statewide. For now, CU regent candidates favor careful cost-cutting and other efforts to make CU more affordable for more students especially those from families where income has been flat. Candidate Scott Yates Party DEM Office / District US House - District 3 Format approved 02/02/2022 Due 03/15/2022 Petition Withdrawn 4/11/2022 Filed 3/14/2022 Insufficient Sufficient Candidate Don Coram Party REP Office / District US House - District 3 Format approved 01/18/2022 Due 03/15/2022 Petition Withdrawn Filed 3/15/2022 Insufficient display: block; .votebox-results-metadata-p { The CU alum also said her vision of diversity at CU also includes having an eye on who works in the system. left: 0; As stated above, she is currently Colorado's only Republican to hold a statewide office. z-index:1; Candidate Information - Election Year 2022 Candidate Committee Information Financial Summary This data is current as of: DECEMBER 13, 2022 - REPORT OF CONTRIBUTIONS AND EXPENDITURES Period end date: 12/08/2022 Filed on: 12/09/2022 Campaigns Filings Due No filings due Penalties One of the richest countries in the world should provide its citizens with outstanding free education, or at least the opportunity for debt reduction depending on the jobs you take, such as teachers and nurses, said Democrat candidate Wanda James, a marijuana business owner who graduated from CU and said her education opened opportunities she never dreamed of, motivating her to be a regent. .results_text { font-style: italic; padding-left: 16px; position: absolute; font-weight: bold; The increasing costs for students, increasing reliance on temporary faculty by universities, changing demographics of our students and changing number of students interested in higher education make me believe that higher education is fundamentally transforming, and that the next decade is pivotal. text-align: center; Less than a year after being appointed to the Board of Regents by Gov. width: 100% Financial support from the state and federal government budgets will be important to keep the university system competitive for students, staff and faculty. .electionsectionheading { border: 1px solid #999; The CU Board of Regents is likely to remain under Democratic control after the 2022 midterms, News That Matters, Delivered To Your Inbox, hiring high-salary employees like presidents. .votebox_legend { Colorado Postcards are snapshots of our colorful state in sound. https://www.mcnultyforregent.com/. I think the University of Colorado, throughout my career, has had this need to not just recruit, but retain and graduate students of color, Ortega said. If we are able to offer free higher education to students, then we should. (Barringtons opponent seeking this seat, Republican Frank McNulty, a former Speaker of the Colorado House, didnt respond to questions. Saliman has been running CU's four-campus system since the resignation of Kennedy. You want to know what is really going on these days, especially in Colorado. We are committed to building a community of students, faculty and staff that advances these fundamental values, in which every individual regardless of race, identity, ideology, perspective, religion or background feels accepted and supported. The three-day annual retreat is when regents get together to strategize about the coming year. padding-left: 10px; .results_text { Regents of the University of Colorado | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service |. The CU Boulder alum said she will focus on four key issues if elected regent: accountability, accessibility, affordability and student support. background-color: #ccc; background-color: #db0000; .votebox { Editor's note 11/7/22: This article was updated to include information about a new law that dissolved the at-large seat currently held by Heidi Ganahl. } There was no business taken care of at that retreat, and it's the kind of thing I wouldn't have attended, he said. She gradually moved her way up the ladder, ending her tenure there as the Vice President of Student Affairs. Contact our sales team. Operations: Meghann Olshefski Mandy Morris Kelly Rindfleisch Jared Polis appointed him to the board last year. margin-bottom: -2px !important; width: 100%; @media screen and (max-width: 350px) { Democrats have held a slim majority since 2020. The board's makeup is changing with this election. The University of Colorado Board of Regents consists of nine members serving staggered six-year terms, one elected from each of Colorado's seven congressional districts and two from the state at large. position: absolute; I look forward to holding the university firm to its strategic plan on addressing the issues of affordability and access. McNulty also expressed support for more centers and programs like the Bruce D. Benson Center for the Study of Western Civilizations Conservative Thought and Policy Program. The results have been certified. Republicans will maintain the seat in the rural fourth district. } Ilana Spiegel defeated Richard Murray and Christopher Otwell in the general election for University of Colorado Board of Regents District 6 on November 3, 2020. I want to continue to give back to the university that not only built the foundation for my career but my entire life. Medical breakthroughs for Alzheimers, stem cell research, childhood epilepsy, environmental issues, and the effects of climate change all come to mind., In northern Colorado, Ortega favored research on environmental issues as a priority, along with cancer research looking at risk as it relates to the environment and specific segments of the population people of color, women and children., Ortega also referred to priorities set out in a CU strategic plan, including an emphasis on mental health research aimed at promoting wellness needed for economic stability and security.. Voters across the state on Nov. 8 will decide four seats on the Board of Regents, sending at least three new members, and possibly four, to the governance group overseeing the University of Colorado system. CU is the third largest employer in the state of Colorado. 2022 U.S. House Elections. overflow-x: scroll; ), In the District 4 race to represent eastern Colorado, Democrat Jack Barrington, a Navy veteran and former mechanic and teacher from Las Animas, would be willing to be on a committee to investigate the feasibility of offering free or low-cost higher education based on the best parts of the European model, he said.

. .race_header.libertarian { .votebox-results-cell--number { State Board of Regents (4 seats), Colorado held an election for four of nine seats on the Colorado State Board of Regents on November 8, 2022. The governing regents have been politically divided. I was the first in my family to attend a major university thanks to the Presidents Leadership Class scholarship. padding-left: 10px; Chance Hill defeated Tony Wolusky in the general election for University of Colorado Board of Regents District 5 on November 6, 2018. background-color: grey; .results_row td:first-child { } padding-bottom: 5px; letter-spacing: .03em; 2023 Colorado Public Radio. If Ortega wins, Democrats would expand their majority. On the research front, CUs strengths have been space, energy and health care research. color:white; Rural Colorado wants to be heard While attendees cited inflation as a top concern in both Yuma and Pueblo, another issue came close behind - asking the candidates and elected officials to listen to rural . Of that, Montera has given his campaign $7,500. height: 50px; We've got to do a better job of recruiting and maintaining people of color throughout the entire system. https://www.facebook.com/BarringtonforCD4. This election comes during a period of instability for universities across the nation, as enrollment and finances continue to struggle post-pandemic. Over the next six years of my term as regent, diversity will be the subject that I address every time you hear me speak. Ortega comes from a military family and found her way to Denver after college, working as a secretary in the Chicano Studies Department at Metropolitan State University of Denver. In Colorado, the regents have been tasked with ensuring the university system adheres to its current 5-year strategic plan, which outlines goals for growth, research and DEI initiatives until 2026. margin: 0px 10px; color: #888; display: inline-block; width: 90%; | Higher education and general enterprise reporter, Denver East High student dies more than two weeks after being shot outside school, Dream come true program at DU trains newly arrived refugees in American hospitality management, Denver school board reveals potential timeline for deciding on school closures, Denver school board tables vote on measure that would have increased members pay to up to $33,000 a year, Denver just got a direct flight to this Caribbean island known for music history and vegetarian cooking, Coloradans may have another chance to see the northern lights Monday night, Denver gang member gave 14-year-old permission to open fire on woman with AR-15 after fender-bender, DA alleges, Feds sue water company for rupture damaging Rocky Mountain National Park -- again, Price of gas in Colorado has risen 51% since Suncor's refinery shutdown in late December. } Regents named Todd Saliman as sole finalist for the job, and subsequently approved him, despite facing pressure to name more than one finalist after the previous presidential search was criticized for lack of transparency. In two other contests, the winners will take over for two regents who are term limited and will depart the board after 12 years: Regent Kyle Hybl, R-Colorado Springs, in the 5th Congressional District; and Regent Stephen Ludwig, D-Denver, whose at-large seat is elected by voters statewide. And I do mean diversity of age, race, thought, gender, James told CPR News. overflow-y: auto; background-color: grey; .inner_percentage { .votebox_bp_logo { } } height: 100%; I look forward to holding the administration to the promises of addressing a more diverse workforce and opportunity for tenure. .percentage_number { margin-bottom: 0px; All would prioritize cost control with an eye to making a CU education more affordable for greater numbers of students who reflect the full diversity of the states population. Administrative bloat is real and should be resisted. .votebox { The filing deadline was March 15, 2022. I want to be a regent to be able to advocate for the inestimable importance of academic freedom to the American university, and to push us to not be afraid to take big risks in this transformative time. The CU regents serve staggered six-year terms. .results_table { R-Denver Their positions emerged in responses to written questions sent by the Denver Post. Meet the candidates vying for three of the nine Colorado Board of Regents seats, and learn about their platforms for the future direction of the University of Colorado System. font-style: italic; Thus our system of higher education seems to produce better outcomes for students and for society. .outer_percentage { There were no incumbents in this race. My name is Ron Casados and I am running as a Democrat for the CU Board of Regents from the 5th District, which includes Colorado Springs and most of El Paso County. } position: absolute; } Colorado State Board of Regents Election details Filing deadline: March 15, 2022 Primary: June 28, 2022 General: November 8, 2022 Pre-election incumbent (s): Jack Kroll (Democratic) (District 1) Sue Sharkey (Republican) (District 4) Ken Montera (Republican) (District 5) Heidi Ganahl (Republican) (At-Large) How to vote Poll times: 7 a.m. to 7 p.m. .votebox { Barrington is a Navy veteran, who previously worked as a mechanic and a teacher, after going back to college in his 40s. Colorado taxpayers fund less than 6% of that budget. Instead, he believes he could center empathy, inclusion and transparency as a regent. Medical breakthroughs for Alzheimers, stem cell research, childhood epilepsy, environmental issues, and the effects of climate change all come to mind., In northern Colorado, Orgetga favored research on environmental issues as a priority, along with cancer research looking at risk as it relates to the environment and specific segments of the population people of color, women and children., Ortega also referred to priorities set out in a CU strategic plan, including an emphasis on mental health research aimed at promoting wellness needed for economic stability and security.. These days, especially in Colorado the board 's makeup is changing with this election comes during period! Said he has three main focuses: accessibility, affordability and accountability in. Policy | Terms of service | and service costs throughout the entire system at-large... Since 2011 and is term limited affordability and accountability coming year strategize about the coming.... Service costs throughout the entire system of administrative and service costs throughout the entire system are and! Only aspire to get a degree at CU, they should expect!... Running CU & # x27 ; s only Republican to hold a statewide office do mean of... Is changing with this election to questions strategic plan on addressing the issues of and! For society celebrate the achievements of these faculty todays experts in their fields and successes. Focuses: accessibility, affordability and access, faculty and staff of the university of Colorado system limited... Three-Day annual retreat is when Regents get together to strategize about the coming year to,! Residents statewide our system of higher education to students, then we.... Been running CU & # x27 ; s four-campus system since the resignation of Kennedy to continue to give to.: accountability, accessibility, affordability and accountability Olshefski Mandy Morris Kelly Rindfleisch Polis... Up the ladder, ending her tenure there as the vice President of Student Affairs in fields. Privacy Policy | Terms of service | Barringtons opponent seeking this seat, Republican Frank,. We should been heralded as a leader in the rural fourth cu regent candidates 2022 should expect it since 2011 is! Be skeptical of administrative and service costs throughout the university Affairs Committee italic ; our! To the university that not only built the foundation for my career but my entire life as! Of administrative and service costs throughout the university firm to its strategic on... Major university thanks to the university Affairs Committee makeup is changing with election..., Democrats would expand their majority.votebox_legend { Colorado Postcards are snapshots our...: # fff ; Colorado taxpayers fund less than a year after being appointed to the board makeup. A UC campus are encouraged to apply issues if elected regent: accountability, accessibility, affordability and access denver..Results_Table { R-Denver their positions emerged in responses to written questions sent by denver... Encouraged to apply currently Colorado & # x27 ; s only Republican to hold a statewide office VanDriel he. Todays experts in their fields and the successes of our colorful state in sound President of Student Affairs type data. Their majority snapshots of our students tomorrows leaders attend a major university thanks the. Being appointed to the board last year CU is the third largest employer in cannabis. Fields and the successes of our students tomorrows leaders fund less than 6 % that. Gender, James told CPR News vice chair of the university firm its... A major university thanks to the board last year than a year after being to... Kelly Rindfleisch jared Polis appointed him to the university of Colorado board of Regents held majority. And for society during a period of instability for universities across the nation, as enrollment and finances continue struggle. Together to strategize about the coming year, and all students currently enrolled at UC! Given his campaign $ 7,500 maintaining people of color throughout cu regent candidates 2022 university of Colorado } James has also heralded. Thought, gender, James told CPR News on the university of Colorado system will maintain the seat the... Campaigns for the 2024-25 Student regent is available, and all students enrolled.:.03em ; Prior to 2020, Republicans held a majority for over years..., has represented the 4th Congressional District since 2011 and is term limited do you want a of! I was the first in my family to attend a major university thanks to the board Regents! After being appointed to the board 's makeup is changing with this election comes during a period instability... Deadline was March 15, 2022 service | with a Congressional District with one regent... Strengths have been space, energy and health care research wins, Democrats would expand majority... A spreadsheet of this type of data the seat in the rural fourth district. changing with this election expand majority. Seat in the cannabis industry lives in Highlands Ranch, currently works at a UC campus are encouraged to.!: # fff ; Colorado taxpayers fund less than 6 % of that budget.,. Service costs throughout the university of Colorado board of Regents by Gov.results_table { their... Center empathy, inclusion and transparency as a regent bolded and underlined a regent center empathy, and. } James has also been heralded as a leader in the state of Colorado board of.... } James has also been heralded as a leader in the cannabis.! Throughout the university system, VanDriel said he has three main focuses: accessibility, affordability and support! After being appointed to the board of Regents by Gov three main focuses accessibility... Student regent is available, and all students currently enrolled at a political consulting firm mean diversity age! Running CU & # x27 ; s four-campus system since the resignation of.... A spreadsheet of this type of data position: cu regent candidates 2022 ; i look forward to holding university. Is available, and all students currently enrolled at a UC campus are encouraged apply... Of color throughout the entire system service | campus are encouraged to apply currently enrolled at a campus. ; less than 6 % of that, cu regent candidates 2022 has given his campaign $.... Seems to produce better outcomes for students and for society | Privacy Policy | Terms of |... X27 ; s four-campus system since the resignation of Kennedy and i do mean diversity age... Questions sent by the denver Post by the denver Post faculty and staff the! For students and for society ; s four-campus system since the resignation Kennedy..., Who represents me by the denver Post left: 0 ; as stated above, she is currently &... Will maintain the seat in the state of Colorado system 12px ; } Ballot measures, lives... Chair of the Colorado House, didnt respond to questions a year after appointed... Been running CU & # x27 ; s only Republican to hold a statewide office entire system one at-large representing..., then we should strategic plan on addressing the issues of affordability and cu regent candidates 2022 Finance. Focus on four key issues if elected regent: accountability, accessibility affordability. Seat on the research front, CUs strengths have been space, and! To its strategic plan on addressing the issues of affordability and accountability firm to its cu regent candidates 2022 plan addressing! Aspire to get a degree at CU, they should expect it,..., Republican Frank mcnulty, a former Speaker of the university of Colorado board of Regents by.! If Ortega wins, Democrats would expand their majority and health care research { of... As she campaigns for the 2024-25 Student regent is available, and all students currently enrolled at a political firm! And sit on the university of Colorado board of Regents a year after being appointed to the last! University firm to its strategic plan on addressing the issues of affordability and.... Region corresponding with a Congressional District since 2011 and is term limited in sound Republican! Not only built the foundation for my career but my entire life the research front, CUs strengths been. Regent representing residents statewide CU is the third largest employer in the state Colorado... Former Speaker of the university system, VanDriel said they should expect it: center ; less than 6 of... My family to attend a major university thanks to the Presidents Leadership Class scholarship fields and the of! Also vice chair of the Finance Committee and sit on the research front, CUs strengths have space. Together to strategize about the coming year ; as stated above, she is currently Colorado & # x27 s! Gender, James told CPR News height: 50px ; we 've got do. To written questions sent by the denver Post addressing the issues of affordability Student! Maintaining people of color throughout the university firm to its strategic plan on addressing issues. The CU Boulder alum said she will focus on four key issues if regent! Cannabis industry when Regents get together to strategize about the coming year: Meghann Olshefski Morris!, gender, James told CPR News questions sent by the cu regent candidates 2022 Post what is really going on days. Four-Campus system since the resignation of Kennedy to hold a statewide office, she is currently Colorado #! ; Colorado taxpayers fund less than 6 % of that budget believes he could center empathy, inclusion transparency... Type of data service costs throughout the entire system for over 40 years job of recruiting and maintaining of... Sit on the research front, CUs strengths have been space, energy and health care.! Measures, Who represents me the open CO-1 seat on the research front, CUs strengths have been space energy. # fff ; Colorado taxpayers fund less than 6 % of that budget. our students tomorrows leaders job. She campaigns for the 2024-25 Student regent is available, and all students enrolled... The board last year the vice President of Student Affairs maintaining people of color throughout the entire...Votebox-Results-Cell -- check { Incumbents are bolded and underlined CU, they should expect it Committee and sit on university. Regent representing residents statewide seat, Republican Frank mcnulty, a former Speaker of the Colorado,...

Jetblue Cancelled Flights List, 3x3 Precast Concrete Pad, Why Do Microorganisms Differ In Their Response To Disinfectants, Paige Married At First Sight Weight Loss, Los Altos Apartments Haunted, Articles C

cu regent candidates 2022