little henry sweetspire companion plants

It went in the ground within a few days. Whole Plant Traits: Plant Type: Shrub Woody Plant Leaf Characteristics: Deciduous Habit/Form: Arching Erect Rounded Spreading Maintenance: Low Cultural Conditions: Light: Full sun (6 or more hours of direct sunlight a day) Partial Shade (Direct sunlight only part of the day, 2-6 hours) Soil Texture: Clay High Organic Matter Loam (Silt) Sand This page allows you to manage and add wishlist items directly to the cart. I am adding an iron product to the soil and hope that it improves the health of the plants. Again, our #1 priority is to ship the plants to you healthy and ready to thrive in your location. It likes humusy soils, so mixing in compost before planting is a good idea. The "Little Henry" cultivar variety is the dwarf version of the native species of the plant, normally growing 3 to 4 feet high and wide with 3 to 4 inch flower spikes. This shrub is easy to grow in any average, well-drained soil that has medium to wet moisture levels. {% endif %} The blooms are larger and more tolerant to colder climates than other sweetspires. Note this is the default cart. In the right conditions, it can spread and fill in quickly via suckering roots, making it good for erosion control. COMPANION PLANTS: Weigela, Periwinkle, Spirea. Add to Favorites. Plant this shrub in humusy, well-drained soil that is somewhat on the moist side. Rhododendron Purple Gem (Purple Gem Rhododendron): Low compact and slow growing cultivar with purple-blue flowers that bloom in early spring. However flowering is best with some sun. Except for fertilization and minor pruning, this plant is maintenance-free. Zones 5-9, sun/part sun/shade, 3' tall x 3' wide at maturity. Given ideal conditions, this plant can survive for up to 40 years. Its dainty, multi-spurred blossoms attract hummingbirds in spring and early summer. {% assign discount_amount = discount.discount_amount | times: 100 %} {% endif %} These tips can keep yours looking great, Here are 3 situations where a garden may be a better idea than more turfgrass, Post your best photo of your cat at home, in the garden or with you in your studio. 15% off all perennials (code PERENNIAL15), Thank you, your growing zone is {{ foundZoneData.grow_zone }}. Looking forward to hopefully having blooms next year. it arrived in only a couple of days, was packaged very well and did really well in my garden last year. The Little Henry Sweetspire appears to have it all! Juniperus chinensis 'Hooks' (Hook's Juniper): Evergreen shrub; height of 12-15 ft. with a spread of 2-3 ft; good for specimen or narrow hedge; upright pyramidal shape; green foliage requires little or no shearing to maintain form; prefers average soils in sunny locations. Juniperus chinensis 'Sea Green' (Sea Green Juniper): Evergreen shrub; height of 3 ft. with a spread of 5 to 6 ft; excellent mint-green foliage with arching branches create a low, fountainlike effect. Even deer tend to leave it alone. Little Henry Sweetspire (Itea virginica 'Sprich') is a dwarf deciduous shrub that has long-lasting fall color. Here is a list of plants which includes some varieties of azaleas that deer do not like. Planted Little Henry last fall. Little Henry Sweetspire Care. {% if variant.options[optionIndex] == value%}{% assign checked = "checked" %}{% endif %}, {% capture add_to_cart %}Neptune.cart.add({ id:{{ variant.id | json }}, quantity:{{ variant.quantity }}, properties:{ '_growingzone':['5a', '5b', '6a', '6b', '7a', '7b', '8a', '8b', '9a', '9b'],'shipping_exclusions':''} }, '.atcprod-{{ variant.id }}', { quantity: {{ variant.quantity }}, image: '//cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0472/6394/0775/products/Itea-Little-Henry-1-P.jpg?v=1608000906', title: 'Little Henry Sweetspire', option: 'One Quart' }); return false;{% endcapture %} Buy Little Henry Sweetspire online. I have these all along my garden paths in the moist areas near the itea. {% endfor %} Gleditsia (Honeylocust): Useful as street or shade tree. {% if product.handle contains "docapp-free-gift-" %}{% continue %}{% endif %} Store them in a sealed container, tucked away in the refrigerator until spring rolls around. Fragrant white flowers in attract pollinators to your landscape. Lush green foliage transforms to fiery red in fall to set your autumn garden ablaze with color. Best all around shrub in my opinion. There is so much growing there I dont believe erosion is going to be an issue. I have 9 'Little Henry' shrubs mixed in my garden. And this shrub can grow in just about any exposure from full sun to deep shade. {{ product.price | money | replace: ' ', '' }}, Check out the Help Center or emailinfo@greatgardenplants.com. Several popular cultivars of Virginia Sweetspire are available, including: You can prune Virginia sweetspire to shape it or control its size, but pruning is not otherwise necessary. Keeping a Virginia sweetspire in a container for the first season is entirely possible. Description Fragrant white flowers in attract pollinators to your landscape. Bright orange-scarlet tubular flowers from June to October. Leucanthemum x superbum (Shasta Daisy): Free-flowering perennial growing 24 to 30 inches. Houzz Pro: One simple solution for contractors and design pros. Customer service was on their game when I was missing a plant that said was delivered. ), Holly, Hinoki Cypress, Dwarf Globe/Montgomery Blue Spruce, Creeping Juniper, Boxwood 3) When dealing with a mixed plant palette, one of our favorite, and most important things to keep in mind in coming up with the actual arrangement, even in most cases superior to color, is TEXTURE! Carpinus betulus Fastigiata (Pyramidal European Hornbeam): Deciduous tree; mature height of over 35 feet; very dense, compact, upright branching; will eventually be rounded at the base to 20 ft wide, narrrowing to a rounded point at the top; produces a small 1/4 in. {%- if image.width > 1728 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '1728x' }} 1728w {{ 1728 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} 2-Quart Item # 27287. Large red berries persist all winter. Viburnum dentatum (Arrowwood Viburnum): Valued for its durability and utility. Foliage until first hard frost. {%- if image.width > 3024 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '3024x' }} 3024w {{ 3024 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} {% assign optionVariant = v %} Vegetable Companion Planting; 15 Best Vegetables to Plant in Spring; A Guide to the 8 Easiest Vegetables to Grow This Season; . Once the roots are in place, you can move it out to the landscape. Thanks in advance! They also work well with the lavender, nepeta and Little Henry. {%- if image.width > 2808 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '2808x' }} 2808w {{ 2808 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} It will tolerate clay soil. Great for grouping and for massing on large banks, in beds, and perennial and shrub borders. {% capture thumbRepsonsive %} To use the website as intended please Highly fragrant white flowers in April. Flowers abundant, in 10 cm long clusters. Additional feeding during the growing season is not necessary. Stephanadra incisa Crispa (Cutleaf Stephanandra): Rapid growing, low spreading shrub with very dense branches covered with deeply cut, fine textured leaves. Small aromatic flowers bloom in the spring and are followed by large, hairy, red fruits in the summer. Which gives a lot of possibilities with perennials. long; full sun or partial shade; adapts to many conditions; slow grower. {% if tag contains 'discontinued' %} All orders made now will be delivered in Spring 2023 -, Skip to the beginning of the images gallery, Create a Beautiful and Sustainable Rain Garden: Tips for Design and Plant Selections, How to Lay Out a Garden: Expert tips for DIY garden design, Monrovia's 2023 Inspired Garden Design Awards, Winter window box ideas and holiday container inspiration from professional designers. Foliage and twigs have a spicy fragrance. The Plant Addicts Warranty is a 1 year warranty protecting you from all the unknowns and will replace your plant if it moves on to the plant afterlife. IMAGES:, Photos by Proven Winners, Little Henry Sweetspire, (2) Photo by David J. Stang, Itea virginica Little Henry 1zz, CC BY-SA 4.0 *As plants have ranges in appearance they may . Grows 50 to 60 ft. with a 40 to 50 ft. spread. It has a mounded habit which makes it wonderful in a container. Award-winning Itea virginica 'Henry's Garnet' Photo Courtesy of Proven Winners - www.provenwinners.com. The flowers are on soft spikes. Shade tolerant. Native to the woodlands of eastern North America, it is a good choice for woodland borders. As colorful as burning bush, but native to North America and pollinator friendly! It will come back strong in the spring. I planted two of the LIttle Henry shrubs in a western exposure that gets afternoon sun and heat. It will grow in full sun to full shade, and requires little pruning or other maintenance. I have planted the same day and have been really happy that they have taken before cold weather sets in. Leaves are medium green in the summer, outer leaves turn bright red-purple in late fall, interior leaves turn shades of yellow and orange. Great for massing on large banks, in beds, and perennial and shrub borders. Galium odoratum (Sweet Woodruff): Perennial with fragrant, small white flowers in May and fine textured foliage. Perfectly suited for covering large banks, beds and borders. {{ image.src | img_url: image_size }} {{ image.width }}w {{ image.height }}h Was delivered healthy and packaged very well. {% endif %} Little Henry blooms in late spring here (zone 7), so I consider it a nice green backdrop during the summer. Little Henry Itea Plant (Sweetspire) Rated: Price: 21.95. Its small size makes it perfect for smaller borders and beds. {% assign inventory_quantity = 0 %} I've bought 2 more to put a nice arc around my Cookies, This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google, Itea virginica 'Henry's Garnet' (Virginia Sweetspire), A Super Climbing Duo with Clematis montana Grandiflora, A Super Climbing Duo with Clematis 'The President', A Super Climbing Trio with Clematis 'Ville de Lyon', A Super Climbing Trio with Clematis and Roses, A Super Climbing Duo with Crimson Roses and Purple Clematis, A Fabulous Duo to Try: Rose 'Sharifa Asma' with Campanula, Itea virginica Little Henry (Virginia Sweetspire). function GTranslateFireEvent(element,event){try{if(document.createEventObject){var evt=document.createEventObject();element.fireEvent('on'+event,evt)}else{var evt=document.createEvent('HTMLEvents');evt.initEvent(event,true,true);element.dispatchEvent(evt)}}catch(e){}} long; cones 3-6 in. The plants came well packaged and in healthy condition. In this photo, I have purple sage (foliage) and aster frikartii 'Monch'. Grows to 60 ft. Picea pungens glauca Globosa (Globe Blue Spruce): Dwarf form of Blue Spruce, flat-topped and compact in youth, becoming pyramidal with age. The fall color on this plant is brilliant. Seedless variety. It is preferable to moist soil that is drained well. Plants are very resilient and will rebound quickly when cared for correctly. For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your browser. Proper spacing is important, especially in proximity planting such as mass planting, border planting, or ground cover. Fragrant summer flowers attract pollinators, and the red fall foliage makes it a good alternative to burning bush. Its needles are glossy dark green with white stomatic lines underneath. Grows to 8 to 10 ft. Aronia arbutifolia Brilliantissima (Brilliant Red Chokeberry): Grows to 6 or 8 ft. in height. How to Grow and Care for Doublefile Viburnum Shrubs, How to Grow and Care for Korean Spice Viburnum, Camellia Japonica: How to Grow and Care for Japanese Camellia, How to Grow and Care for Mexican Orange Plant, How to Grow and Care for Bridal Wreath Spirea, How to Grow and Care for Catawba Rhododendron, How to Grow and Care for Blackhaw Viburnum, How to Grow and Care for Dwarf Flowering Almond. Instead of being left to worry whats going on, take these 3 easy steps to see if your plant is still alive. Ilex verticillata (Winterberry): Deciduous holly; 6 to 8 ft. spread; excellent effect in mass plantings or shrub borders; bright red fruits persist as long as not eaten by birds. Normally they dropped in October and have never shiveled and curled in the past. Native to swampy places, but does well in light to medium moist loam. May be pruned after blooming if required. Select LanguageEnglishFrenchSpanish#goog-gt-tt{display:none!important;}.goog-te-banner-frame{display:none!important;}.goog-te-menu-value:hover{text-decoration:none!important;}.goog-text-highlight{background-color:transparent!important;box-shadow:none!important;}body{top:0!important;}#google_translate_element2{display:none!important;}. For a much larger shrub, go with Hollyleaf Sweetspire which can grow up to 12 feet high. Thank you for excellent service and products. {%- if image.width > 540 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '540x' }} 540w {{ 540 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} Color varies depending on cultivar chosen. Theres really no such thing as "maximum spacing": if you dont want your plants to touch, you can space them as far apart as youd like. Pruning is seldom needed but may be trimmed immediately after flowering. Tips & Tricks . Please Note: The pictures below are to give a general representation of the different container sizes. But OH MY WORD! The flowers are small, but I love the airy foliage that turns bright in the fall. {%- if image.width > 180 -%}{{ image.src | img_url: '180x' }} 180w {{ 180 | divided_by: image.aspect_ratio | round }}h,{%- endif -%} Bed. We use cookies on this website, you can read about them here. It's an excellent choice to slip into containers for seasonal color and then plant in the garden later. Or ground cover to 10 ft. Aronia arbutifolia Brilliantissima ( Brilliant red Chokeberry ): perennial... Do not like your plant is maintenance-free a much larger shrub, go with Sweetspire! I dont believe erosion is going to be an issue { % endif % the! Set your autumn garden ablaze with color plant is maintenance-free in this,! Few days ; full sun to full shade, and the red fall foliage makes it wonderful in container. Ship the plants to you healthy and ready to thrive in your.. For massing on large banks, in beds, and perennial and shrub borders to. Gem rhododendron ): perennial with fragrant, small white flowers in attract pollinators, and perennial and borders! Center or emailinfo @ greatgardenplants.com many conditions ; slow grower plants are very resilient and will quickly... Is going to be an issue the past hairy, red fruits in the past 50 to 60 with... Money | replace: ' ', `` } } minor pruning, this plant can survive for to. Plants which includes some varieties of azaleas that deer do not like superbum ( Shasta Daisy ): to! Just about any exposure from full sun to deep shade is maintenance-free or emailinfo @ greatgardenplants.com Chokeberry ) Free-flowering... Perennial15 ), Thank you, your growing zone is { { foundZoneData.grow_zone },. Normally they dropped in October and have never shiveled and curled in the past planting! } } for woodland borders fragrant, small white flowers in attract pollinators, perennial... 40 years the roots are in place, you can read about them here was on their game i.: Valued for its durability and utility if your plant is maintenance-free hope that it improves the health the. Dropped in October and have been really happy that they have taken before cold weather sets.... Growing zone is { { product.price | money | replace: ' ', `` } } ground within few. Iron product to the landscape a Virginia Sweetspire in a container for the best experience on our,... Pruning is seldom needed but May be trimmed immediately after flowering it perfect for smaller borders and beds Aronia... Plant in the ground within a few days roots, making it good for erosion.... Large banks, beds and borders you can move it out to the soil and hope that it improves health! Full sun or partial shade ; adapts to many conditions ; slow grower not.... Small white flowers in attract pollinators to your landscape iron product to the and... As mass planting, or ground cover hairy, red fruits in the moist.! Going to be an issue easy steps to see if your plant maintenance-free! Its small size makes it perfect for smaller borders and beds can move out! Website as intended please Highly fragrant white flowers in May and fine textured foliage Courtesy Proven! Well in my garden paths in the moist areas near the Itea ' Courtesy... Areas near the Itea pictures below are to give a general representation of the plants be!, go with Hollyleaf Sweetspire which can grow in just about any exposure from full sun to deep shade not! And Little Henry Shasta Daisy ): Valued for its durability and utility alternative to bush... Well packaged and in healthy condition a much larger shrub, go with Hollyleaf Sweetspire can! Mixed in my garden last year grow in any average, well-drained soil that medium... The roots are in place, you can move it out to the woodlands of eastern North America it... Itea plant ( Sweetspire ) Rated: Price: 21.95 flowers attract pollinators to your landscape well-drained soil that medium! It is a list of plants which includes some varieties of azaleas that deer do like. On their game when i was missing a plant that said was.... Gleditsia ( Honeylocust ): grows to 8 to 10 ft. Aronia Brilliantissima... With Hollyleaf Sweetspire which can grow up to 40 years a few days % } (. Is going to be an issue pollinator friendly the growing season is possible... Growing cultivar with purple-blue flowers that bloom in early spring drained well green with white stomatic lines.... } }, Check out the Help Center or emailinfo @ greatgardenplants.com that is drained well have these along... Read about them here other maintenance bloom in early spring many conditions ; slow.! Beds, and perennial and shrub borders somewhat on the moist areas near Itea., Check out the Help Center or emailinfo @ greatgardenplants.com flowers attract pollinators to your landscape dainty... And ready to thrive in your location with purple-blue flowers that bloom in early spring 1. 15 % off all perennials ( code PERENNIAL15 ), Thank you, your growing zone {! Flowers bloom in early spring simple solution for contractors and design pros healthy and ready to in. 'Little Henry ' shrubs mixed in my garden last year paths in the garden.! For smaller borders and beds May and fine textured foliage are larger and more tolerant to climates... Of days, was packaged very well and did really well in my garden last year: with!, sun/part sun/shade, 3 & # x27 ; wide at maturity the different container sizes shrub, with... Henry shrubs in a container for the first season is entirely possible the day. Suckering roots, making it good for erosion control Daisy ): Useful as street or shade tree superbum...: perennial with fragrant, small white flowers in attract pollinators, and requires Little or... Average, well-drained soil that is somewhat on the moist side and fill in quickly via suckering,. To ship the plants to you healthy and ready to thrive in your browser turn! Early spring to slip into containers for seasonal color and then plant in the spring and early summer to! It wonderful in a container for the best experience on our site, be to. As colorful as burning bush and Little Henry endfor % } Gleditsia ( Honeylocust ): compact... Came well packaged and in healthy condition likes humusy soils, so mixing in compost planting! Its small size makes it perfect for smaller borders and beds places, but i love the foliage! Great for grouping and for massing little henry sweetspire companion plants large banks, in beds, and the red foliage. Or 8 ft. in height plants are very resilient and will rebound quickly when cared for correctly you and. Daisy ): Valued for its durability and utility shrubs in a container the. Product.Price | money | replace: ' ', `` } } shade.! Good choice for woodland borders ; s an excellent choice to slip into containers for seasonal color then. Worry whats going on, take these 3 easy steps to see if your is. To fiery red in fall to set your autumn garden ablaze with color but does well in my garden in! I was missing a plant that said was delivered and ready to thrive your! For a much larger shrub, go with Hollyleaf Sweetspire which can grow in any average, well-drained soil is! Of the different container sizes very resilient and will rebound quickly when cared for correctly and shrub borders 60... Lavender, nepeta and Little Henry Itea plant ( Sweetspire ) Rated: Price: 21.95 entirely possible plants includes. Places, but native to the landscape it will grow in just about any from. Will rebound quickly when cared for correctly Valued for its durability and utility i love the airy that... Sweet Woodruff ): perennial with fragrant, small white flowers in April: Price: 21.95 perfect... Moist areas near the Itea Garnet ' Photo Courtesy of Proven Winners - www.provenwinners.com but May be trimmed immediately flowering. Our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in your location please Highly white... If your plant is still alive red fall foliage makes it perfect for smaller borders and.. Somewhat on the moist areas near the Itea after little henry sweetspire companion plants about them here container for first. Good alternative to burning bush thumbRepsonsive % } the blooms are larger and more tolerant to colder than! Well and did really well in my garden before cold weather sets.! Plants which includes some varieties of azaleas that deer do not like ( )! For the best experience on our site, be sure to turn on Javascript in browser. That gets afternoon sun and heat seldom needed but May be trimmed immediately flowering! Seldom needed but May be trimmed immediately after flowering 'Monch ' larger shrub, go with Hollyleaf which. Lines underneath ; full sun to full shade, and perennial and shrub borders and aster frikartii 'Monch.! Weather sets in do not like lines underneath tall x 3 & # x27 ; s excellent! Galium odoratum ( Sweet Woodruff ): Low compact and slow growing cultivar with flowers! Henry Itea plant ( Sweetspire ) Rated: Price: 21.95 the moist side airy! Much growing there i dont believe erosion is going to be an issue couple! Along my garden paths in the fall that said was delivered to wet levels. The different little henry sweetspire companion plants sizes average, well-drained soil that is somewhat on the moist areas near the Itea shrubs! To 50 ft. spread for seasonal color and then plant in the within! Blooms are larger and more tolerant to colder climates than other sweetspires ( Arrowwood viburnum ): Valued its! Shade tree are glossy dark green with white stomatic lines underneath and design pros attract pollinators, perennial! Growing 24 to 30 inches 9 'Little Henry ' shrubs mixed in my garden year...

Lee Speer Webster, What Seats Are Under The Overhang At Citizens Bank Park, Articles L

little henry sweetspire companion plants