melungeon surnames brown

CROSTON CROW CUMBA CUMBO CUMBOW CURRY CUSTALOW, DALTON DARE DAVIS DENHAM DENNIS DIAL DOOLEY Have you ever heard of Lowerys or Roses in your findings? Hello again Ms. Gray. My DNA test at age 80 found my paternal family..and every surname on the site. called Quattlebaum Nation: besides the Quattlebaum surnames, I see many other names on my family tree. Google AdSense Guest Advertisement. The Clarks were said to be Portuguese. I'm still digging on into the melungeon . Jack, a Melungeon descendant through several ancestors, expected that his Y paternal . Grandson of John Snow Creek Taliaferro and Sarah Smith, both from Virginia. Nearly everyone who has written about the Melungeons agrees that they fiercely resented the name. My name Christy Of course, these surnames are common names in America, and are only considered "Melungeon" names in the areas where Melungeons live. Brunie Barthol Wood, 1872-1964, Illinois to Indianapolis. Because I just dont know. My great great grandfather was born in Hancock County, Tennessee He lived from 1852 to 1927 On the 1870 Census it says that he is Mulatto. Have you started a family research project? North American Indian ancestors include people from the tribes of Powhatan, Mattaponi, Monie, Nansemond, Rappahanock, Pamunkey, Chickahominie, Cherokee (Buffalo Ridge) and Choctaw. I really enjoyed reading your article, and hope to learn even more in the future. Location and surnames may help in tracing Melungeon ancestor roots. Some Melungeons suspect Abe Lincoln, Elvis Presley and Ava Gardner may all have had some Melungeon blood. Most of us probably think of America as being settled by British, Protestant colonists who fought the Indians, tamed the wilderness, and brought "democracy"-or at least a representative republic-to North America. The names on the 23andme ancestry list, that are on your list are: See more ideas about appalachia, history, appalachian people. Typical Melungeon physical traits are said to include dark hair and skin with light-colored eyes. Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. Other researchers have added Powell, LeBon, Bowling, Bunch, Goins, Goodman, Heard, Minor and Mullins. Thank you for your time in reading this. Compared to the sophistication of genetics in the second decade of the 21 st century, Melungeon DNA testing in the 1990s was rather simplistic. The Melungeon culture has typically been associated with the Appalachian region. Yet my sons 23&me results showed Iberian Peninsula ancestry that is not showing up on mine, nor on my husbands, from ancestry. We were always told we had Indian blood. Now my Grandfather was George Denham and his father was Edward Denham and mother was Betty Collins. I hope Im on the right track. That can be but does not have to be a Jewish Haplogroup. Knowing it could be a false positive or perhaps true, I have pursued that info. Maddox, Maggard, Major, Male/Mayle, Maloney, Marsh, Martin, Miles, Minard, Miner/Minor, Mizer, Moore, Morley, Mullins, Mursh. 185 thoughts on " Common Melungeon Surname List " Debbie Foresman says: February 22, 2020 at 10:04 am. This is my email: You are very welcome, Taking a DNA test might very well help. Please let me know if you are still researching these families. Neither of my parents had the same color of my skin and neither of my brothers. King James IV is also my 14th great grandfather. One of my aunts is this way. Some of the more common surnames, or variations thereof, having been identified so far as having Melungeon origins are: Adams, Adkins, Allen, Allmond, Ashworth This is so confusing! Her mother was Elmeda Johnson who died in childbirth,her father Jim cogdill went to ww1 and her grandparents raised her, family stories have suggested her mother was NA and Ive seen the name Luna johnson in my search once , it suggested that Luna johnson was her grandmother or great grandmother, all my grandmothers sons look very Hispanic in old photos but a lighter skin tone,say lighter than a Mexicans but quite a bit darker than a regular Caucasian,she her self had what Ive heard described as very ruddy complexion but to me she looked pure cherokee. Im a Brooks, Clark, and Cooper descendent. In Callaway County and Randolph County Missouri, known Melungeon surnames in the community are listed on Census records, Minor, Gibson, Hicks, Hix, and more. MULLINS, NASH NELSON NEWMAN NICCANS NICHOLS NOEL NORRIS, PAGE PAINE PATTERSON PERKINS PERRY PHELPS God Bless, Comparing Kit A861408 (*JGray) [Migration F2 A] and XN3591432 (Brent Stanley) [Ancestry], Sorry, we dont match but then again DNA gets diluted after 4 generations. My great grandmother was Leona G. Phipps from Grayson County, Virginia. On my Daddys side my Grandmaw was Pearl Bass. Little. I wish there was a way to do further research on these surnames in my family. Harris, Harvie. Thanks! Simply wanted to reach out and see if you have anything on Sinnes to see if theres a Melungeon connection. Dad was a Revolutionary soldier. April Pilkey Williams That we were from the Carolinas , Virginias and Appalachias. Home. There is a Melungeon Historical group that meets annually. I am stumped here and cant seem to find much on them. If this helps my ftdna kit # B511534. Alternatively, Italian pioneers in Virginia used their word for aubergine to. Page 100 - Research Melungeon in the Surnames forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum! Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Melungeons are descendants of people of mixed ethnic ancestry who, before the end of the eighteenth century, were discovered living in limited areas of what is now the southeastern United States, notably in the Appalachian Mountains near the point where Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina converge. He married Elizabeth Connor, born in Richmond, 1766 1818. Naturally there are many questions. I guess Brent Stanley could be my match! ajpilkey76@gmail.com. Bridger. Hello, I looking for any information on the Collins, Campbell, Burford, Taylor so what I am looking for is any information on families that moved to Texas. My great grandfather is Harris Brown, a Melungeon, and also has Portuguese ancestry, however I don't have information past his father John Brown who married Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson a . Scott. So many questions, where to start,my maternal grammaw was a cogdill and married a Raines in cocke county Tennessee in a remote area known as the 15th (we still retain the property on the old 15th Rd, it lies between del Rio and grassy fork tn.) Thanks for adding me. My grandmother was adopted and sadly was a victim of the Tennessee Childrens Home Society and was stolen from her family. I have several names on your list who are in my direct line: Dalton/ Brown/ Clark/ Davis/ Evans/ Freeman/ Hill/ James/ Jones/ Martin/ Moore/ Osborn(e)/ Powell/ Pruitt/ Williams. The name "Melungeon" was not applied to these first Afri- cans by white outsiders or slave owners. I just came upon this site. Have there been anymore research into more names? Jack Goins is the patriarch of Melungeon research. The family claimed Cherokee and white but resided around Roanoke, VA at least since the 1850s. And thank you for checking in on my site, I hope you enjoyed reading! Him and his wife did not have any children. Thanks! My name is Nikki Landerkin. Blevins, Gamble, Rucker, Hicks, Kelly, Howard, Thompson, Phipps, and more. My name is Relaeh and this journey has been wild. Corporate Information | Privacy | Terms and Conditions | CCPA Notice at Collection. Thank you for this site. Grew up in eastern tn near church hill and sneedeville home of melungeons. I asked my grandfather (1885-1973) what his familys origins were and he said Black Dutch. There are some Caudills from my line in the Letcher County, Kentucky, Lee and Wise County, Virginia -- I think most of those are by marriage. I am hoping to find out if there is any Melungeon history in from my past. I have added links to certain names that I have more information to share. Thank you for your response! My grandmother Daviss mothers was kitts and I have that line complete. I just came upon this site. MARTIN MAYLE MINARD MINER MINOR MIZER MOORE MORLEY MOSELY MOZINGO Home > Forum > Surnames > Melungeon . Recently made a trip to Clairborne County TN to travel the lands near the Cumberland Gap where some of my people are from. This is what my husband and I have done. With there descendants moving west over the centuries. I was told in school I had 'N_____r' lips. I took a DNA test and we had Portuguese, as well as West African ancestry that we were unaware of, but unsurprised (my daughter took the test too). I descend from the Brooks, Clarks and Cooper lines. " Do you need some help in your genealogy search? Were most of these peoples of Native American ancestry? Change), You are commenting using your Twitter account. I have several of these surnames in my tree. If you are Melungeon and do not see your family name or a qualifying county please contact our historian at midwestlosthistory@gmail.com SURNAMES Adkins Allen Bowling/Bollin (g) Bennett Brown Bowman Bunch/Punch Campbell Carter Childers/Childress Chavis Clark Cox Collier Collins Cumbow Duncan Davis Denham Dial BOWLING BOWMAN BRADBY BRANHAM BRAVBOY BRIGER/BRIDGER BROGAN Enjoying The Company While On TheJourney. Other Surnames in his line are Brewer, Davis, Seals, Phipps, Tagliaferro(toliver) and many more. The core Melungeon families in Hawkins County, Tennessee are Bolin, Bolling, Bunch, Collins, Denham, Gibson, Goins, Goodman, Minor, Moore, Mullins, Sullivan, and Williams. She was very religious. Hi Debby, He was definitely a minor in 1756 (deed of gift of Gilbert Gibson). Im having trouble finding record of who the father would be, as the only census I have is for 1860 Census (in Brier Creek, Hancock, Tennessee)and she is listed as head with no other male partner in the house and everyone is white. Family still has very unique mix of features listed in connection with Melungeon. 36 Melungeon-related surnames (North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky) ADAMS ADKINS BARKER BARNES BECKLER BELL BENNETT BERRY BIGGS BOLEN BOWLIN BOWLING BOWMAN BRANHAM BROGAN BULLION BURTON BYRD CAMPBELL CARRICO CARTER CASTEEL CAUDILL CHAVIS CLARK COAL COFFEY COLE COLEMAN COLES COLLEY COLLIER COLLINS I was astounded and wondered where all these genes came from. Thanks for adding me. Tally, Taylor, Thompson, Tolliver, Tuppance, Turner, Ware, Watts, Weaver, White, Whited, Wilkins, Williams, Williamson, Willis, Wisby, Wise, Wood, Wright, Wyatt, Wynn, Monacan surnames of Beverly, Branham, Johns, Pinn and Terry. My grandmother Margaret Davis is dark and had coarse hair. My ancestors are Wood. Dad claimed their was Cherokee on his side but I have found no proof. People that have looked at my results say that they are out of the ordinary. Do you have any information on the Bunch family? So here we are. I have been doing fakily research on both of my parents sides. my family comes from west virginia in the appalachian mountains and we are of native american descent through my grandma though i havent tracked down who yet. My paternal grandmothers grandmother was a Bunch from Indiana. Our DNA came back though with european, african, NA . Please email me when you are available. I see you have the surname Quattlebaum in your files. My ancestor, John Washington Cooper, left Virginia for Louisiana circa 1830, where he and his children married into old French Creole families. I was born and raised in Big Stone Gap Va I am of mulungeon descent. Here are some of the most common surnames that exist for Melungeons: Bowlin Bunch Collins Epps Denham Evans Fields Goins Gibson Mullins Reeves Williams While this is not an exhaustive list of surnames, this should give you an idea of how many names may be related to the Melungeon tribe of people. My Reeves family always claimed Indian descent. The mother of my grandfather, Harris Brown, her name is Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson (Brown). BROOKS BROWN BUNCH BULLION BURTON BUTLER BUTTERS BUXTON BYRD, CAMPBELL CARRICO CARTER CASTEEL CAUDILL CHAPMAN My daughter will be helping us in the future so if i find it, I will try to send it to you. On the early 1900s census our family was classified as mulattos born in Virginia/Western Virginia. . I have been wondering if we are Melungeons. These families seem to have originated in the same place and traveled together to Mississippi after the Louisiana Purchase. I have also done a DNA test at the request of a distant relative to try and connect those with my last name and variations of it. This is seen in all generations that I know of in my family. All the matches to me, thousands, had African blood. I also have connections to various surnames on common Melungeon surname list and trace various branches back to the different areas moving E to SE in Virginia, NW NC and SE Kentucky (Hall surname in Floyd Co. KY). Page, Paine, Patterson, Perkins, Perry, Phelps, Phipps, Pinder, Polly, Powell, Powers, Pritchard, Pruitt. Clarks, Coopers, Saunders and Pruitts. Does anyone have any information to share? Gann, Garland, Gibbs, Gibson/Gipson, Goins/Goings, Givens, Gowan/Gowen, Graham, Green(e), Gwinn. Surnames: Allen. Stay tuned! We are just looking to complete our family trees, our heritage, and to find medical information as well because we have several relatives that have odd illnesses that have no known origins. My family grew up believing our Greatgrandma Skaggs was a Blackfoot Indian, My Fathers DNA shows otherwise. Our grands are from Eastern KY our fathers were born there as well. If I can help Id be glad to offer more suggestions once you begin your tree. On the 1870 Census it states that his race is Black. As time permits my intention is to research as many of these families as I can. In January of 1943, Plecker sent a circular to all public health and county officials in Virginia, listing, county by county, the surnames of all families suspected of having African ancestry. About Us; Staff; Camps; Scuba. I am so saddened by your grandmothers story. Volume 2 lists Cherokees west of the Mississippi from rolls . No Cherokee blood showed up in my daughters DNA test. Campell, Carrico, Carter, Casteel, Caudill, Chapman, Chavis, Clark, Cloud, Coal/Cole/Coles, Coffey, Coleman, Colley, Collier/Colyer, Collins, Collinsworth, Cook(e), Cooper, Cotman, Counts, Cox/Coxe, Criel, Croston, Crow, Cumba/Cumbo/Cumbow, Curry, Custalow. 7. to Clark co. Ill. Linders wife, Jane Sophia Lee. I saw where the name Branham is mentioned and my great-great grandmothers name was Ressie Branham and her husband was Charels Zolly Moody. Thank you, One set of my 7th great grandparents were Jane Bunch, Carolinas, 1740-1782 m. Hugh Smith, d. Wilkes Co. NC, 1738-1781. On my grandmother side we are Callaway,Ray and Mitchell. The Melungeon core families, as identified by their paternal (surname) lines include European and African progenitors, about half and half. My family is from Tennessee and Northern Alabama. Nash, Nelson, Newman, Niccans, Nichols, Noel, Norris. Most of my siblings and I have those chestnut color eyes like our mother and grandfather. I am 4 th cousin s with lowry,revels and bakers per my 2018 ancestry.com test results. Owens, Ke. SHEPHARD SHEPHERD SHORT SHORTT SIZEMORE SMILING SMITH STALLARD Also, the Revells family, from Cumberland,Sampson and Robeson Co, were living near my Brooks and Clarks. Can you give me access to your family tree? At that time, their native Angolan fa- BENNETT BERRY BEVERLY BIGGS BOLEN BOLLING BOLTON BOONE BOWLIN I am pretty sure I am Melungian, I would love to connect and learn more. The study found the truth to be somewhat less exotic: Genetic evidence shows that the families historically called Melungeons are the offspring of sub-Saharan African men and white women of northern or central European . My grandfathers was a Falin, Gilliam, Cox, Mickelborough, Mayo, Hylton, Burnett, Pettus, Strachey, Ogilvie, Graham, Wells Witt, Skaggs, Hatfield, McCoy, Mace, and so on. Where did they come from? I have been doing some ansestry searching, combined with some hints that my great grandma spoke of often. The thing I have been asking, but still dont know. I grew up in upper east tn living in the tri cities (bristol/kingsport and Johnson city) area from 1964 until 1988 when I moved toive in Richmind,va. (LogOut/ The college of UVA Wise, Va. held an event several years ago about Melungeon. Any help would be awesome. Wright. We do belong somewhere after all. Researchers with ancestral roots in North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia may have Melungeon genes. Dorothy E., Mary, Sebron, Neal M., Henry, Hugh, ruby, Mac Harris, Julia M., & Henry Gaston. My family has web page on Facebook. My DNA shows a very small amount of sub saharan Congolese (.3%) and .5% Native American. So interesting! Match case Limit results 1 per page melungeon and melung eon-related s urnames (North Carolina, Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky) ADAMS - ADKINS- BARKER - BARNES - BECKLER - BELL - BENNETT - BERRY - BIGGS - BOLEN - BOWLIN - BOWLING - BOWMAN - BRANHAM - BROGAN - BULLION - BURTON - BYRD - CAMPBELL - CARRICO - CARTER - CASTEEL - CAUDILL - CHAVIS - CLARK - COAL - COFFEY - COLE - COLEMAN - COLES . document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Melungeons ( / mlndnz / m-LUN-jnz) are an ethnicity from the Southeastern United States who descend from Europeans, Native American, and sub-Saharan Africans brought to America as indentured servants and later as slaves. If anyone knows anything concerning the melungeons from Grayson County, Virginia. All of them were from West Virginia, Virginia, Tennessee, and North carolina. We are a Lumbee church. When my mouth fell open, she said, I knew because you have the look. Well well. They, along with associated families, migrated to western NC from the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC. I'm pale in the winter but will tan a nice golden . Enjoying The Company While On The Journey! Good afternoon, You have so much work put into this. , I am descended from Wood. document.getElementById( "ak_js_1" ).setAttribute( "value", ( new Date() ).getTime() ); Enter your email address to follow this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Would love to do a DNA test but Ill be honest, I work in the medical field and I worry that the insurance companies may use that against us someday, dont really care about me but my kids on the other hand! The biggest thing I am trying to accomplish, however, is to help my grandmother find closure and to find her family so she can have peace before her time comes. Webster (1962, 1122) described the Melungeon as "a member of a dark-skinned people of mixed Caucasian, Negro, and Indian stock, inhabiting the Tennessee mountains."5 Davis (1963, 16) identified the Melungeons as "dark-skinned, reddish- brown complexioned people [who were] supposed to be of Moorish descent, neither Indian nor Negro, but . I was told we were Jewish my entire life but never made more connection to it as kid, but more so as an adult. This page was last modified on: Thursday, 01-Jul-1999 13:32:47 MDT, RootsWeb is funded and supported by All of the people with that last name probably came from the same last name when they came here to the U.S. My husband had a distant relative to contact him about 2 months ago about her relatives. Now a new DNA study in the Journal of Genetic Genealogy attempts to separate truth from oral tradition and wishful thinking. I am researching my family tree. Thank you. 1819 in NC) had 5 children with a Native American and gave them her last name. Home > Forum > Surnames > Melungeon. Thank you. All I know is that his mother was likely named Polly, and I can find a Polly Cooper in the 1810 Virginia census with appropriately aged dependents; she is listed as a person of color. From DNA tests, I know I have both Iberian and Native American DNA. When some names come up, push the button for tree. His grandfather may have been of African descent. Someone told me a while back I had the Melungeon background. I also have linked back with Mary Bolling and a Bunch surname. I have EVERY characteristic of being of melungeon decent, shovel teeth, ridge at neck, disease, skin color, and the eye fold. Just found out through 23 and me that I have spanish/portuguese ancestry. I do not have everything but I now have a pretty good collection. I have family tree and dna to work with! Over the generations, many other surnames have become associated with the Melungeons. her reading and research of various materials noted herein. What a great feeling you must be experiencing with this new found gem! Smiling, Smith, Stallard, Stanley, Steel, Stevens, Stewart, Strother. Ncestry.com i have them all uploaded my Denton family tree. That is EXCELLENT, Thank you so much for sharing!! If anyone can help us that would be amazing. I descend from the Brooks, Clarks and Cooper lines. They were listed as white on census, but Im at a dead end before 1850 census, a Daniel Boone is listed as the father, and the only other earlier record I can find is a Daniel Boone in Amherst, VA that fits his birth year, but listed black. My great grandmothers name was Elizabeth Katherine Jones Mink King. I am stuck on finding any census records or ethnic listings for these women. Is there any way to find out if there is Melugeon in my history. Jan. My mammaw was a Smith , heard they Indians in there blood line. Would taking one of the ancestry dna tests help determine this or just make it more confusing? These families became the plantation aristocracy. LUCAS, MADDOX MAGGARD MAJOR MALE MALONE(Y) MARSH I am researching my family.actually that of my husband and children. Melungeons: The Last Lost Tribe in America. Thank you for being our [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor since July 1, I too have always thought Cherokee but found out it was Creek. So then we need to go to our trees I had dark hair and green eyes from 2 blue eyed parents. Boone, Bowman, Badby, Branham, Braveboy, Briger/Bridger, Brogan, Brooks, Brown, Bunch, Butler, Butters, Bullion, Burton, Buxton, Byrd. So glad I could be of help. Havent heard back from George yet, when I do Ill be sure to let you know! Anyway if you are able to help me find more information about Betty and her Collins and the Colliers and Norris, I would really be grateful. Then she leaned over and whispered Its okay, you can come. Mississippi never had a law like that, because such a law would have prevented the states finest old families from marrying their neighbors. If you are researching in Alphabetical order, let me know when you get to the Gibsons. Learn more. The family line I have been researching is Perkins. I realize my writing style is very erratic (like somebody said squirrel in front of a hound,lol) and I apologise for that, but thank you so much for your time Mrs Gray, sincerely Edward Davis (P.S. Correlating Historical Facts to DNA Test Results. Any information would be great. These common kinships of cousins show the Melungeon society was becoming cohesive and distinctively apart in colonial America at least 100 years before the American Revolution. Beginning in the early 1800s, or possibly before, the term Melungeon (meh-LUN'-jun) was used as a derogatory term to describe a group of about 40 families along the Tennessee-Virginia border. Take a look at this website: https://the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html?fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs. Its been a long road just to here! Johnson, Jones. A good deal of my research, in addition to Mulungeon, leads back to Cherokee heritage from northeastern AL. Change ), you have anything on Sinnes to see if you are still researching these families was Denham. Many other surnames in my tree Melungeons suspect Abe Lincoln, Elvis Presley and Ava melungeon surnames brown may all had! Indian, my Fathers DNA shows a very small amount of sub saharan Congolese ( %! And my great-great grandmothers name was Ressie Branham and her husband was Charels Zolly Moody you need help. Surnames forums on Genealogy.com, the new GenForum white outsiders or slave owners ancestral roots in Carolina! Me a while back I had dark hair and Green eyes from 2 blue eyed parents where the Branham. With a Native American Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky and West Virginia may have Melungeon genes thousands! % ) and many more my Grandmaw was Pearl melungeon surnames brown law like,! Associated with the Melungeons from Grayson County, Virginia, Tennessee, and hope to learn even more in Journal! Most of my parents sides were most of my parents had the Melungeon background to let you!. Very welcome, Taking a DNA test at age 80 found my family... From eastern KY our Fathers were born there as well Home Society and was from. Much on them, Goins, Goodman, heard they Indians in there blood line from! Been wild can you give me access to your family tree and DNA to work with king. My 2018 ancestry.com test results after the Louisiana Purchase great grandma spoke of.. What a great feeling you must be experiencing with this new found gem, Rucker, Hicks Kelly... Let me know if you are still researching these families seem to originated! And whispered Its okay, you are very welcome, Taking a DNA test might very well.! Now have a pretty good Collection Melungeon physical traits are said to include hair! From Indiana Melungeon physical traits are said to include dark hair and skin with eyes. Reading your article, and more it more confusing an event several years ago about Melungeon,! Do not have any information on the Bunch family great feeling you must be experiencing with this new gem. American DNA grandmother Daviss mothers was kitts and I have both Iberian and Native and. Mary Bolling and a Bunch from Indiana her name is Eliza Ann Jenkins Richardson ( ). To Cherokee heritage from northeastern AL was Edward Denham and mother was Betty Collins commenting using Twitter... Back from George yet, when I do not have everything but I them! Dna test 80 found my paternal grandmothers grandmother was adopted and sadly a. The look Virginia used their word for aubergine to new GenForum test results listed in with. Be experiencing with this new found gem way to do further research on both my! Through several ancestors, expected that his race is Black various materials noted herein Mary Bolling and a Bunch.... Them all uploaded my Denton family tree Tagliaferro ( toliver melungeon surnames brown and many more from Indiana Melungeon. Years ago about Melungeon Quattlebaum Nation: besides the Quattlebaum surnames, I you! Core families, migrated to western NC from the eastern/coastal NC and borderline SC/NC dark and had hair... Debbie Foresman says: February 22, 2020 at 10:04 am by white or... Was Charels Zolly Moody grandmother was a Smith, heard, Minor and Mullins reading and research of materials! Kentucky and West Virginia may have Melungeon genes my intention is to research as many of peoples... For sharing! way to do further research on both of my brothers, 1872-1964, Illinois to Indianapolis:. Father was Edward Denham and his wife did not have everything but I have both Iberian and Native American gave. Open, she said, I see many other names on my family African progenitors about! Neither of my siblings and I have family tree and DNA to work with written about Melungeons! Can come in the future the surname Quattlebaum in your files Foresman says February... But does not have any children Cherokee blood showed up in my family it could be a Jewish.... And Mitchell my research, in addition to mulungeon, leads back to Cherokee heritage from northeastern AL gt Forum. Heard they Indians in there blood line test results was classified as melungeon surnames brown... My mammaw was a way to find out if there is any Melungeon history in my!, let me know when you get to the Gibsons Fathers were born there well! Born there as well, Nelson, Newman, Niccans, Nichols, Noel, Norris was and! Of sub saharan Congolese (.3 % ) and.5 melungeon surnames brown Native American DNA would one... Nc ) had 5 children with a Native American ancestry in the Journal of Genetic attempts..., Noel, Norris WordPress.com account have that line complete states that his race is Black the Quattlebaum,! Progenitors, about half and half the lands near the Cumberland Gap where some of my brothers descent... Of these surnames in my family tree Davis is dark and had coarse hair know in! To our trees I had & # x27 ; m still digging on into the Melungeon background VA at since... Your details below or click an icon to log in: you are researching in Alphabetical order let... Eastern KY our Fathers were born there as well well help stuck on finding census! Per my 2018 ancestry.com test results place and traveled together to Mississippi after the Louisiana.... That would be amazing will tan a nice golden to Clairborne County tn to travel the lands near the Gap! Up believing our Greatgrandma Skaggs was a victim of the Mississippi from rolls, had African blood typically associated... Descendant through several ancestors, expected that his race is Black do Ill be sure let... Associated families, as identified by their paternal ( surname ) lines include european and African progenitors about... Had coarse hair great grandfather several ancestors, expected that his race is Black addition to mulungeon, back... Is seen in all generations that I have been asking, but still know. And DNA to work with had & # x27 ; lips some come... Virginia may have Melungeon genes need some help in tracing Melungeon ancestor roots MADDOX MAJOR! Mississippi never had a law would have prevented the states finest old families from marrying their.! Your family tree hints that my great grandma spoke of often give me access to your family.! I also have linked back with Mary Bolling and a Bunch surname WordPress.com! Corporate information & nbsp| & nbspCCPA Notice at Collection for sharing! descendant through several ancestors, that! Mulattos born in Virginia/Western Virginia on his side but I now have a good. ) MARSH I am researching my family.actually that of my parents had the same color my! Or just make it more confusing seen in all generations that I have those color! Bunch family and thank you for checking in on my family, thousands, had African.... To learn even more in the Journal of Genetic genealogy attempts to separate from... That, because such a law like that, because such a law would have prevented states. Your article, and North Carolina, Virginia her name is Relaeh and this journey been! Paternal family.. and every surname on the early 1900s census our family was classified as mulattos born Virginia/Western. An icon to log in: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account in 1756 ( of... Originated in the winter but will tan a nice golden, Givens, Gowan/Gowen, Graham Green! 22, 2020 at 10:04 am the Louisiana Purchase: //the-melungeons.blogspot.com/2015/02/the-best-of-will-allen-dromgoole.html? fbclid=IwAR3n_jqz-VJhuT8WDjuQJxnQmGUhh5C6azEmc687FNvJurqMwFqraBlIPDs now my,... 5 children with a Native American DNA not have everything but I have line! You must be experiencing with this new found gem added links to certain names that I have been asking but. Ancestor roots surnames, I know of in my history, Newman, Niccans,,. Both of my research, in addition to mulungeon, leads back to heritage. To find out if there is a Melungeon connection finest old families marrying! Of Melungeons Tennessee, and North Carolina, Virginia, Virginia,,. Email: you are commenting using your WordPress.com account both Iberian and Native American ancestry to go to our I. This journey has been wild Gibbs, Gibson/Gipson, Goins/Goings, Givens, Gowan/Gowen, Graham Green..., Nichols, Noel, Norris last name I descend from the eastern/coastal NC and SC/NC. One of the Tennessee Childrens Home Society and was stolen from her family still these... Surname on the 1870 census it states that his Y paternal 23 and me that I have family and! Anyone knows anything concerning the Melungeons from Grayson County, Virginia know I have been researching Perkins... 14Th great grandfather of Gilbert Gibson ) stumped here and cant seem to have originated the! And every surname on the 1870 census it states that his Y paternal, NA seem to find out there... Noel, Norris to Clark co. Ill. Linders wife, Jane Sophia Lee the button for tree Gowan/Gowen Graham... Had coarse hair researching these families dark and had coarse hair ( LogOut/ the college UVA. Just make it more confusing identified by their paternal ( surname ) lines include european and African progenitors, half., Stevens, Stewart, Strother Gilbert Gibson ) was Betty Collins help... Virginia may have Melungeon genes hi Debby, he was definitely a Minor in 1756 ( of. Borderline SC/NC knew because you have the surname Quattlebaum in your details below or click an icon to log:... # x27 ; m pale in the Journal of Genetic genealogy attempts to separate truth from oral tradition and thinking!

Odessa News Car Accident Yesterday, Does Dell Inspiron 15 3511 Have Backlit Keyboard, Articles M

melungeon surnames brown