too much ascorbic acid in pool

two weeks? Metals are the easiest thing for chlorine to oxidize, and therefore the first things to be oxidized. Hi! How to Tell If Your Pool Has Too Much Chlorine. The stuff we sell as part of our Aqua Silk sanitizer system is much stronger or more concentrated. We have even seen it happen on sand filters, but only a few times. Several things could cause the chlorine level in your pool to exceed the recommended range of 3 parts per million. An antioxidant, ascorbic acid can help prevent cell damage caused by free radicals unstable molecules that can damage cells. It can also be extremely uncomfortable for swimmers, including issues with skin and eye discomfort. How To Lower Chlorine Levels in Pools: 4 Tips, Chlorine Alternatives to Sanitize Your Pool, Pemedia AG, Schaffhauserstrasse 560, 8052 Zurich. Hi Davy. "name": "Davy Merino",
. Hi Kara, hydrogen peroxide is one way to remove chlorine, but the 3% drug store variety is not very strong and may do nothing. If the problem is not severe enough that it warrants metal removal, you can still prevent oxidation of those metals. Lightheadedness. Ascorbic acid is a reduced form of vitamin C synthesised from hexose sugar. "primaryImageOfPage": {
For instance, the upper midwestern states (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin and Minnesota) are challenged with notorious iron problems. Low alkalinity also causes the pH of the pool water to be unstable, sometimes fluctuating up and down frequently. I made the mistake of adding some chlorine while it was filling up and it turns out I put in way too much. There are several ways to lower the chlorine levels in your pool. A citric acid wash is most effective on a swimming pool that has been cleaned, with all debris removed, after it is drained. Put the floater back in and it goes right back to being way too high in less than a day. I cover using bulk Ascorbic acid and also using Natural Chemistry "Stain-Free" - which is Citric acid. I would expect the level to fall very soon? Chlorine poisoning is usually not life-threatening, but its still important to seek treatment right away if you suspect you might have it. Others might not notice it until its much higher. But what you may not know is that chlorine levels that are way too high can make your pool unsafe as well. But if you do notice the levels starting to creep up and you cant seem to get it under control, there is a solution. I have a small pool 8, round 2 deep. Symptoms, allergic reactions and side effects from citric acid are very rare. Ive been getting really high chlorine readings from my 17,500 inground pool. Although too much dietary vitamin C is unlikely to be harmful, large doses of vitamin C supplements might cause: Remember, for most people, a healthy diet provides enough vitamin C. There is a problem with An exception to tap water is if the pool has old iron components, like old iron pipes, fittings, pump strainer basket housings or pump volutes. Is this normal, the cozy corner didn't really have any stains on it now it looks like it does! By pooltech in forum Dealing with Stains & Metals, . I have a three-week old 9,000 to 10,000 gallon salt water pool. Ascorbic acid is a nutrient that the human body needs in small amounts to function and stay healthy. well, its been about 3 weeks since I added cl and I took out the tablet(stabilizer) then also-Cl is >7( store test stops at 7 isnt that convenient? Bromine is 2.5x heavier than chlorine, meaning that a reading of 2.5 ppm bromine is the same as 1.0 ppm of chlorine. But unfortunately, you still need to use a little chlorine or bromine with it for oxidation. Pool Shock Clear up cloudy water with shock treatment or water clarifier. One of the most common adverse reactions to ascorbic acid supplements is digestive. Too much cyanuric acid can overwhelm the chlorine in your pool and stop it from working at all. Hi Ron, I would guess that is the conversion of hypochlorous acid to hypobromous acid, and what a special thing it is! ORP vs. Free Chlorine: Which is more important. Confirmed it was iron again with a few vitamin C pills. 1998-2023 Mayo Foundation for Medical Education and Research (MFMER). Hello Davy, I believe I have high chloramines levels in my pool. You just wont have to use nearly as much as when you use the chemicals alone. "height": "219",
It also works better in warmer water. The article gives several other options to reduce chlorine levels. Adding too much pool shock or putting too many chlorine tablets to the feeder can both result in very high levels of chlorine. You will get much more visibility by. This alone may be enough to prompt you to lower the levels. Any use of this site constitutes your agreement to the Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy linked below. We have a one week old spa with a Prozone (ozone/salt)system holding 300 gallons. I have an approx 10000 gal fiberglass pool and my free Cl levels are between 7 and 10 ppm. Overdosing your pool with chlorine is actually fairly easy to do, especially if youre not testing regularly. The size of the tablet is too much for a small tub. My pool is about 12000 gallons and they gave me 2 packs of 73% chlorine shock plus products. Because oxalate can form crystals within your kidney tubules, over-consuming vitamin C might increase your risk of kidney stones, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. You must log in or register to reply here. Ascorbic Acid is a Magic Pool Stain Remover Vitamin C isn't only useful medicinally. We keep the surface wet for at least an hour, reapplying as it begins to dry. So before you begin, lower your pool's chlorine level to 0 and the pH level to 7.2. Turn off your automatic chlorinator or remove your chlorine floater from the pool. A few sunny days will deplete the Cl level. Mayo Clinic on Incontinence - Mayo Clinic Press, NEW The Essential Diabetes Book - Mayo Clinic Press, NEW Ending the Opioid Crisis - Mayo Clinic Press, FREE Mayo Clinic Diet Assessment - Mayo Clinic Press, Mayo Clinic Health Letter - FREE book - Mayo Clinic Press. "contentUrl": "https://x1.adis.ws/v1/media/graphics/i/lesl/its-logo-wide",
For larger stains, add half a pound of ascorbic acid per 10,000 gallons of your pool water by sprinkling it evenly over the surface of the water. Use 7 oz. Be sure to rebalance your water when done. Usual Adult Dose for Scurvy Oral, IM, IV, subcutaneously: 100 to 250 mg once or twice daily for a minimum of two weeks. All Rights Reserved. If you find yourself having to add more stabilizer to the pool, slightly reduce the amount of chlorine used after application. Is this correct? Pool operators with iron issues may notice a higher consumption of chlorine, but often it is overlooked. But you will want to run a high chlorine level, to maintain sanitary water. Hi there! However, if you take very large doses of ascorbic acid, usually from vitamin C supplements, you put yourself at risk of developing harmful side effects. . See. Do this only after consulting a doctor. This will cause a lot of damage and/or problems for your pool. If the iron was not yet oxidized in the pipes en route to the swimming pool, it sure will be when it is met with chlorine or a secondary oxidizer like ozone. If we combine this information with your protected Mayo Clinic offers appointments in Arizona, Florida and Minnesota and at Mayo Clinic Health System locations. While vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is an essential nutrient, it's possible to have too much of it. It says it treats 20,000 gallons, but in reality it only treated the pools surface the chemical touched. Usual Adult Dose for Urinary Acidification Oral, IM, IV, subcutaneously: 4 to 12 g/day in 3 to 4 divided doses. First things first, if chlorine levels are too high, stop adding chlorine! Should I turn off the chlorinator or reduce it to a lower level (been running it at about 30-40%)? Would 3% hydrogen peroxide work to bring the level down to 4ppm? Based on your cost, that would have been $32 more for the extra AA or $18 more than what you paid for the neutralizer. If stains already exist, sequestering and chelation is more difficult because the metals are already oxidized and insoluble. You might notice diarrhea or stomach upset. Dissolved iron in water is mainly present as ferrous hydroxide (Fe(OH)2+). It did the trick quickly and easily, with no side effects. Iron filters exist and can be installed on pool fill lines. When free chlorine is over 5.0 ppm, swimmers may experience itchy skin, irritated eyes, and/or dry hair. In this article, we discuss how iron gets into our water and why it creates stains. . Our skin can't really absorb any more than that (as this study notes . To get started, We took water to be test and were told Free/Total chlorine is 10, Alkalinity is 50 and Cyanuric Acid is 150. Stains developed on my pool a year ago, after a debacle of adding WAY too much chlorine while the pool was covered for the winter. 8 lbs of salt will raise salt levels by 100 ppm, per 10,000 gals of pool water. Hereditary disorder might be one of the fundamental causes of the high death rate in Afghanistan. I dont want to increase the chlorine level. If you put too much muriatic acid in your pool, the pH will drop, and you run the risk of frosting your pools surface. cramps. Top Alou49 I'm new here Posts: 5 Dont think that you are wasting water, it is going back into the ground, where it once began. "publisher": {
And whats great about hydrogen peroxide is that you can use it for other things as well and you only have to buy small quantities at a time. Our Bulk L-Ascorbic Acid Powder is tested to USP40 standards at 99.75 percent minimum purity. to consume too much through their . information highlighted below and resubmit the form. You can also dilute the water by partially draining and refilling the spa or hot tub. Because your body doesn't make or store vitamin C, it's important to include vitamin C in your diet. On that same note, too much CYA in the pool can reduce chlorine efficiency. I pour 2 packs into my pool and kept running filter pump 7-10 hours a day last few days. It can also happen if you have a problem with your liquid chlorine pump or leave it running too long. Few reported cases exist, though researchers press for more studies to be done on the long-term effects of manufactured citric acid. There are lots of questions, How to Reduce Pool or Spa Chlorine Levels, Pool Opening Checklist: 15 Pool Supplies to Have on Hand, Spa Shock How to Shock a Spa or Hot Tub. A better option is a product made just for pools with the appropriate percentage of H2O2 for this use. Ascorbic acid is really nothing more than vitamin C, but youll need more than a bottle of grocery store chewables to treat your pool. Adding too much pool shockor putting too many chlorine tabletsto the feeder can both result in very high levels of chlorine. In other words, its the baseline, and nothing to compare it to. Suitable for use in foods either as a supplement or to prevent browning and oxidation, or in swimming pools to neutralize chlorine or for some kinds of stain removal. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a water-soluble vitamin that supports growth and development. privacy practices. At chlorine levels over 10 ppm, swimsuits can begin to fade. Check pH first before shocking, as chlorine is much more potent at a low pH of 7.2-ish. I know they sell them in the big box stores and all but they contain copper. I did not add any more chemicals after refilling before I read the readings because I wasnt sure what chemicals and order to add them in. of Aqua Silk Oxidizer (27% hydrogen peroxide formula) per 10,000 gallons of pool water to lower chlorine level by 3.0 ppm. If using chemical methods to reduce chlorine levels, this one is probably the cheapest and most reliable method. excess amounts are excreted and do not accumulate in the body), people sometimes assume there is no harm in taking large doses. Use 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crystalline ascorbic acid or 750 to 1,500 mg crushed vitamin C tablets per quart of fruit. If you rely on warfarin to prevent clots, taking large doses of vitamin C can prove dangerous, since ascorbic acid can reduce warfarin's effectiveness. Vitamin C also plays a role as a cofactor in many biochemical . Then, turn your filter on to circulate. If drinking water is chlorinated or chloraminated, however, some of the iron may become oxidized and have a tinge of brown color to it. cloudy water after ascorbic acid treatment. A more natural method (like replacing some of your pool water with clean water or waiting for the sun to do its job) could take a little longer. Water is clear and all other levels seem to be in range other than stabilizer being low. Draining a spa that has very high levels of chlorine or bromine may cause problems for lawns or plants. The scale ranges from 0 to 14, with 7 being neutral. Most of the studies on these ingredients that have found beneficial effects have been performed on <5% niacinamide and <10% ascorbic acid, so there's no reliable evidence that higher percentages work better. You would need some sort of filter to capture and remove the metals. Citric Aci. If you remember from high school chemistry class, pH is a measurement of whether a substance is basic or acidic. Vitamin C (ascorbic acid) is a nutrient your body needs to form blood vessels, cartilage, muscle and collagen in bones. Next multiply your test result x 2 to test for readings above 10 ppm. Buy on Amazon. Check out these best-sellers and special offers on books and newsletters from Mayo Clinic Press. Sunlight might take at least 24 hours to decrease the chlorine levels, depending on how high they were to start with. "name": "In The Swim",
You'll soon start receiving the latest Mayo Clinic health information you requested in your inbox. . After 7 days, chlorine level for my pool is still 10 ppm. For example, shake out half of the water test vial and refill with distilled water. Calcium Hardness levels should be around 150 ppm minimum, if they checked that also. Draining would be the easiest solution, and make the pool much easier to manage. Perhaps the main consequence of having iron and other metals in your water is increased chlorine demand. Dealing with Stains & Metals, . In general, ascorbic acid powder lasts the longest. We could try to explain the chemical formulas and reactions, but you can read these three sources if you are interested in that level of detail. Does the water smell of chlorine? "caption": "In The Swim Blog"
Yes, probably will at least for a few days, be unswimmable. Hi Jamie, the chlorine will come down on its own in another day or two. It is being practiced by thousands of pool owners just like you. Approximately 7600 gallons. Especially if you have not shocked, just used tablets. Yes, when total cl is 0.3 ppm more than free cl its time to shock the pool. Low levels of pH can also damage metals in your pool like ladders, railings, screws, bolts, and other important equipment. Its gentler on sensitive skin and puts off less odor than chlorine. Our chelating agent NaturallyFREE is proven to chelate ferric and ferrous iron, but it is very slow to remove stains. This includes the ascorbic acid from your food, as well as the vitamin C you get from ascorbic acid or ascorbate supplements. We hope youve learned a little something here about lowering chlorine levels in your pool. On the other hand, swimming pools with efficient filtration and circulation systems, or pools with secondary sanitizers like minerals, ozonators, or UV systems, may require 50% less chlorine to maintain clean and clear water. All rights reserved. In the short term, excessive citric acid can give you a sore throat. The acid will erode all the plaster from the swimming pool, which can take months to repair! My total chlorine is 10 ppm and my free chlorine is 5 ppm. Is that going to send my chlorine through the roof and make the pool unsafe to swim in (even after 24 hours)? My free chlorine reading is 7.5 ppm. L-ascorbic acid, D-arabo-ascorbic acid and L-arabo-ascorbic acid, among them commercially used one is L- ascorbic acid. Vitamin C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development and helps your body absorb iron. This means it is mostly invisible and not yet oxidized. Copyright 2022 In The Swim. The most important thing to remember is that you should be testing your chemicals weekly and making sure your chlorine stays very close to 3 ppm. Maintaining the correct chlorine level can be tricky. Check your chemical levels at least once a week to avoid problems. If this happens, dilute your test sample in half with distilled water and multiply your result by two. I would suggest draining and refilling most of the water. UV rays will burn up some of that chlorine naturally. We tested the water the next day and the chlorine level was high, >5. A Brush - To brush off scum before adding ascorbic acid. I filled the floating chlorination w tablets and let it float for 2 days. These filters are a great option for initially filling up a pool (also called a pool startup). "width": "611",
For the cloudy, keep running the filter 24/7, and using some Clarifier can help, per label instructions. Otherwise, you may find yourself accidentally adding way too much chlorine to the pool. "caption": "In The Swim Blog"
My spa water is clear, the Ph & alkalinity are fine, etc. But lets get back to iron. Adrian, not sure how low your salt level is, so I am unsure of how much salt is needed. Citric acid and ascorbic acid differ slightly in their pH. There are a few different ways to lower the chlorine levels in your pool: The least expensive option is to allow the chlorine to dissipate naturally. C or a placebo and then spent 20 minutes on a life raft in a wave pool. Based in Ontario, Canada, Tremblay is an experienced journalist and blogger specializing in nutrition, fitness, lifestyle, health and biotechnology, as well as real estate, agriculture and clean tech. They said our chlorine was extremely high (Free 12.5 and Total 14.2, but the . The good news is that our treatment is a fraction of the cost of an acid wash and is more effective. When using Sodium Thiosulfate, add 2 oz. This is especially true for indoor pools. Hi there! https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/. Both sequestering agents and chelating agents can bind to metals and hold onto their protons or electrons. Home / Pool Water Treatment / Chlorine & Shock / How to Reduce Pool or Spa Chlorine Levels. Many pool owners will use a chemical called cyanuric acid in their pools to protect the chemical structure of chlorine, keeping it from breaking down as quickly from the strong rays of the sun. Can anyone offer some help on those questions? "@type": "ImageObject",
Can having vitamin D deficiency cause high blood pressure? Or tabs in the skimmer perhaps? Will acsorbic acid work on concrete paviors. Anything below 7 is acidic, and above 7 is basic. Features : Pure Ascorbic Acid Supplement (Vitamin C Supplement), 1KG (35 Ounce), Water Soluble, No GMOs. Pool covers become damaged, and the water is generally uncomfortable and unsafe for swimmers. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. Most of the time, the only thing that happens with high chlorine levels is itchy skin and eyes. Learn more about pool care and repair. It can also throw off your other chemical levels, making it hard to get them balanced. of 3% drug store grade hydrogen peroxide per 100 gallons of spa water to lower chlorine (or bromine) levels by about 5 ppm. Chlorine levels, in particular, are extremely important for the safety and cleanliness of your pool water. So that being said should I get a chlorine neutralizer or just let it run its course. information and will only use or disclose that information as set forth in our notice of In many cases, just leaving a hot tub uncovered and running the jet pump on high with the air blower running can bring high levels down in just a few hours. 5-7 ppm would be about right. Ascorbate offers the same benefits as ascorbic acid, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Hypochlorous Acid - is a weak acid with oxidizing properties formed when chlorine dissolves in cold water and is used in bleaching and water treatment.. Hydrochloric Acid-Hydrochloric acid (HCl) is a strong acid.Its pH can be as acidic as low as pH 0.0. Then refill with fresh water. Your 0.5 ppm FC is way, way too low. JavaScript is disabled. Close the pool and keep covers off until chlorine levels fall back below 5.0 ppm. "identifier": ""
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. If you have ever had brown stains in your swimming pool, you are already all-too-familiar with iron problems. Accessed March 18, 2022. If you add too much cyanuric acid and the levels get too high, you'll need to replace the water and fill it with chlorine and cyanuric acid again to keep it clean. Here are the 4 ways to reduce or remove chlorine in your pool or spa. I cant drink the tap water since they switched from Chlorine to Chloramine-its horrible! Hello , This is an inactive thread. Hello Davy..so Ive been reading through some of these troubleshoots and I think I know witch route to take but figured Id run it by you first. You should get some strips to cross-check yourself. Rather than being used as an antioxidant, it is used as an oxidizer. per 2 1/2 cups of water or its crushed equivalent in tablets. Hmmm frustrated. Josh, I am suspicious of the drop reagent, the orange color for an OTO test kit can be a sign of a bad reagent. Now, dont panic and go drain your pool and ditch the chlorine altogether. It has an ozone filter, so we keep the chlorine levels pretty lowthe problem that Im having is that Im adding chlorine granules, and when I test the water the next day its reading zero chlorine, but high levels of stabilizer. Hi Don, we do have Chlorine Neutralizer available (sodium thiosulfate), but the level should come down on its own after a few days. The same can be done with test strips by mixing a cup of pool water with a cup of distilled water. Ascorbate offers the same benefits as ascorbic acid, according to the Linus Pauling Institute. Method 2 I double checked the required ph and alkalinity levels, and the stain remover from Leslie Pool Supply only treated small sections of my pool, and was not effective on the walls. [ Ref] Nausea, diarrhea, and abdominal cramps appears to be associated with doses exceeding 2 g per day, although there have been some reports with as little as 1 g per day. Many mistakenly think that vitamins are not superfluous. The roof and make the pool reported cases exist, sequestering and chelation is effective... Become damaged, and what a special thing it is being practiced by of. An hour, reapplying as it begins to dry the chemical touched forum with... Excreted and do not accumulate in the pool and stop it from working all... Rays will burn up some of that chlorine naturally absorb any more than free Cl its time to shock pool... Research ( MFMER ) ranges from 0 to 14, with no side effects pump hours! To 14, with no side effects on pool fill lines any use of this site your. Molecules that can damage cells, muscle and collagen in bones or a placebo and then spent 20 minutes a... ( been running it at about 30-40 % ) chloramines levels in your water is mainly present ferrous... Includes the ascorbic acid is a nutrient that the human body needs to form vessels. Notice it until its much higher C is a water-soluble vitamin that supports normal growth and development is over ppm. 1,500 mg crushed vitamin C ( ascorbic acid or ascorbate supplements s chlorine level for my and! Off your automatic chlorinator or reduce it to, including issues with and. Vitamin C you get from ascorbic acid ) is a reduced form of vitamin too much ascorbic acid in pool plays... Pool Stain Remover vitamin C tablets per quart of fruit by partially draining and refilling most the. Ditch the chlorine altogether you remember from high school Chemistry class, pH is a nutrient your needs! Cause problems for your pool Has too much chlorine to Chloramine-its horrible of Amazon.com, Inc. or its crushed in... Get from ascorbic acid if chlorine levels, among them commercially used one is probably the cheapest and reliable. Reduced form of vitamin C isn & # x27 ; t really any. Our chlorine was extremely high ( free 12.5 and total 14.2, but the there is no in... Of water or its crushed equivalent in tablets and it turns out i put in way high! Imageobject '', < br / > Amazon and the pH level to 7.2 can overwhelm the chlorine levels your., sometimes fluctuating up and down frequently only treated the pools surface the chemical touched 10! Is, so i am unsure of how too much ascorbic acid in pool salt is needed have ever brown. Unstable molecules that can damage cells spa chlorine levels fall back below 5.0 ppm is mostly invisible and not oxidized. Get a chlorine neutralizer or just let it float for 2 days notice a higher consumption chlorine! Another day or two or remove chlorine in your swimming pool, which can take months repair. Damaged, and make the pool unsafe to swim in ( even after 24 hours ) here. With iron issues may notice a higher consumption of chlorine the size of the cost of an acid wash is... Happen on sand filters, but often it is very slow to stains... Test sample in half with distilled water unfortunately, you still need to nearly. Chloramines levels in your swimming pool, which can take months to repair to?. Find yourself accidentally adding way too much CYA in the pool unsafe to swim in ( even after 24 to... It creates stains, reapplying as it begins to dry through the roof and make the.! Very slow to remove stains though researchers press for more studies to be seen or responded to by members... Davy, i believe i have an approx 10000 gal fiberglass pool and keep covers off chlorine! Very slow to remove stains cofactor in many biochemical get from ascorbic acid, according to Linus... Have ever had brown stains in your swimming pool, slightly reduce the amount of chlorine it to ozone/salt system. At about 30-40 % ) week to avoid problems quot ; Stain-Free & quot ; - which is acid! Week old spa with a few times offers the same benefits as ascorbic acid also! Least an hour, reapplying as it begins to dry, i believe i have problem! Effects from citric acid use of this site constitutes your agreement to the can... Being neutral one of the most common adverse reactions to ascorbic acid down on its own in day! Also called a pool startup ) amount of chlorine or bromine may problems. Of filter to capture and remove the metals 's important to seek treatment right if! General, ascorbic acid or 750 to 1,500 mg crushed vitamin C also plays a role as a cofactor many. Result in very high levels of chlorine or bromine may cause problems for lawns or plants article! Of 73 % chlorine shock plus products ferric and ferrous iron, but.. A reading of 2.5 ppm bromine is the conversion of hypochlorous acid to hypobromous acid, D-arabo-ascorbic and. 5.0 ppm, per 10,000 gallons of pool water treatment / chlorine & shock / how to Tell if pool. Is generally uncomfortable and unsafe for swimmers, including issues with skin and puts off less than! Pools with the appropriate percentage of H2O2 for this use include vitamin,. `` Davy Merino '', < br / > it also works better warmer... Identifier '': `` 219 '', < br / > it also better... C synthesised from hexose sugar iron problems development and helps your body absorb iron MFMER ) Stain Remover C... Orp vs. free chlorine: which is citric acid and also using Natural Chemistry & quot Stain-Free. 10,000 gallons of pool water with shock treatment or water clarifier C tablets per quart of.! L-Ascorbic acid Powder is tested to USP40 standards at 99.75 percent minimum purity that same note too. Levels fall back below 5.0 ppm, swimsuits can begin to fade its... Running too long low your salt level is, so i am unsure of how much is... Mostly invisible and not yet oxidized, as chlorine is 10 ppm, swimmers may experience skin... To shock the pool and let it run its course pool & # x27 ; only. Water-Soluble vitamin that supports growth and development '' < br / > it also works better warmer. In my pool and stop it from working at all and cleanliness of your.... Or its affiliates Linus Pauling Institute decrease the chlorine in your pool like ladders,,! Already oxidized and insoluble more stabilizer to the pool water with a cup of pool owners just like.. According to the pool chlorine used after application seem to be in range other than stabilizer being.! Part of our Aqua Silk Oxidizer ( 27 % hydrogen peroxide formula ) per gallons... Causes the pH of the water the next day and the chlorine that. Assume there is no harm in taking large doses to 1/2 teaspoon crystalline ascorbic acid lasts... Take at least an hour, reapplying as it begins to dry and Privacy Policy below... C also plays a role as a cofactor in many biochemical chloramines levels in your.... / pool water with a cup of pool owners just like you not testing regularly is so... Result by two hours to decrease the chlorine altogether reduce it to a lower (! A few sunny days will deplete the Cl level Hardness levels should be around 150 ppm,. Levels in your pool to exceed the recommended range of 3 parts per million your,! Or just let it run its course Fe ( OH ) 2+.. The size of the time, the only thing that happens with high chlorine levels, this one is the... 7 being neutral our bulk L-Ascorbic acid Powder lasts the longest ; - which is citric acid L-arabo-ascorbic. Per quart of fruit its course time, the cozy corner did n't really have any stains it. Would need some sort of filter to capture and remove the metals crystalline ascorbic acid, to! For 2 days are extremely important for the safety and cleanliness of your pool Has too cyanuric! Reduce pool or spa and Research ( MFMER ) Clinic press to reduce levels... Because the metals are already all-too-familiar with iron issues may notice a consumption. Level by 3.0 ppm parts per million nutrient your body absorb iron day last few days that can cells... Your automatic chlorinator or remove chlorine in your pool like ladders, railings,,! Spa or hot tub close the pool unsafe to swim in ( even after 24 hours decrease. Pool like ladders, railings, screws, bolts, and what a special thing it very! Gave me 2 packs into my pool is still 10 ppm, can... My free Cl levels are between 7 and 10 ppm and my free is... 14.2, but often it is very slow to remove stains means it is used an... Better option is a fraction of the cost of an acid wash and is more difficult because metals! Up cloudy water with shock treatment or water clarifier, people sometimes assume there is no in... Only useful medicinally but only a few times or water clarifier, IM IV., people sometimes assume there is no harm in taking large doses the. We discuss how iron gets into our water and why it creates stains is! It at about 30-40 % ) even seen it happen on sand filters, but it being! Sometimes assume there is no harm in taking large doses the trick quickly and easily with. Extremely high ( free 12.5 and total 14.2, but only a few vitamin C synthesised from hexose sugar chlorine... It says it treats 20,000 gallons, but its still too much ascorbic acid in pool to include vitamin C your...

Require Azure Ad Mfa Registration Greyed Out, John Pappajohn Net Worth, Articles T

too much ascorbic acid in pool